General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

T/C died in intersection/now has no power!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Default T/C died in intersection/now has no power!

For a few weeks my 2002 Town/Country (104,000 miles) would shut off while driving and reset itself. (I posted on this) As of last night while in the middle of a busy intersection waiting to turn my engine shut down, seconds later the cluster shut off, another second or two the odometer went off. My vehicle is now dead. After over an hour of waiting for a tow truck while freezing our butts off my husband decided to hit the flashers which actually worked! While the flashers are on if you open the door it will ding and the cluster will light up. If you turn the key as if to start the car the odometer will turn on but of course nothing will happen (no sound or anything). Now the lights/sound will only work if the flasher ARE ON. With the flashers off it's like it has no power at all! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried what it could be and just how much it's gonna cost!

Thanks so much!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Default RE: T/C died in intersection/now has no power!

Maybe it's the ASD (Automatic Shutdown Relay). That's designed to shut the engine down in the event something else is wrong, but if it fails, it'll kill the engine pretty quick. It's located in the power distribution center under the hood. If that's all it is, it's a pretty simple and cheap repair, but from long distance, it's only a guess. It's shouldn't be affecting those other things in your car that are acting up.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Default RE: T/C died in intersection/now has no power!

I would think that its most likely a CAN bus problem, a communication problem between the computers. Check for codes and see if you can even communicate with any of the computers if you can't communicate then most likely a CAN bus problem. If you can you probably have trouble codes.