General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Unhappy Tree sap

I made the mistake of parking under my neighbor's tree. I don't know what kind of tree it is but it has little fruits or berries that fall on the car and leave sticky red colored blobs behind. I think some birds eat the fruits and add to the mess with their droppings.
I tried lots of different household cleaners but nothing touched it. I can get it off with Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover but it's a LOT of work for each spot and there are hundreds of them. Anybody got any ideas?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Well, it's now 3 months later and I have solved the problem. With the passage of sufficient time, the sap seems to have degraded to the point that it now comes off easily with water and elbow grease. The other day, after several days of rainy weather, I gave a little rub to one of the spots with my finger as I was getting in the car. To my surprise, it mostly rubbed right off. I spent about 15 minites rubbing all the spot with a sponge and can now say the problem is 99% gone.
I was thinking I would have to call the insurance company to see if "tree sap" is a covered hazard under my comprehensive coverage.