General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

uConnect-No iPhone Navigation Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Default uConnect-No iPhone Navigation Audio?

Hoping someone can tell me why the 2013 Chrysler T/C (not equipped with factory navigation) does not appear to allow me to use my iPhone with navigation Apps and stream the turn by turn audio via bluetooth? My Ford does it flawlessly, and I am very disappointed that I can't get this to work with my Chrysler. In the day and age of electronics, it seems archaic to purchase a factory installed navigation system. I already have two navigation systems (TomTom) that I don't use anymore because I love the audio turn by turn I have become accustomed to in my other car. Anyone else able to get turn by turn from an iPhone app via bluetooth?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Angry RESOLVED-Answer.....NotGood

So,I did reach out to Chrysler on this question. They responded right away, said they would call. I think they did. My Wife told me we were getting a call from an unknown number while I was at work, but the messages were unintelligible,broken,and made no sense. I did reply to the email they had sent, and just told them a simple emailed response as to how one uses an iPhone mapping app that will do turn by turn via the radio would be great. Instead,they responded again by email to tell me they had tried multiple times to call, and were closing my case with an assumption that everything was OK. All is NOT OK, but I have figured out the limitations of this radio on my own.

Now,I have a couple solid years experience using my iPhone with my Ford (uses Sync). Just about any app I have installed works flawlessly, and will mute the music, and bring up that app's turn by turn when needed. This work regardless of whether I am listening to radio, satellite, CD, or have a thumb drive or MP3 player plugged into my Ford's USB port.

With the Chrysler uConnect in my Town and Country,however,I did find out how it works. You have to hit the Media button,select "AUX",make sure you select the phone from the menu that has been paired, and is connected to uConnect. Here is the not so great part. The turn by turn ONLY works when you have the T/C radio in the AUX selection,with the phone selected and connected. If you try to listen to live radio or CD, you change from AUX, and turn by turn no longer works. Even if you relegate yourself to no CD or live radio, the blue tooth streaming is unreliable, and frequently just stops working.....another issue I have never experienced in my Ford.

My opinion (that's all...MY Opinion) is that uConnect has gotten into bed with Garmin as partners, and they have found a way to successfully make your lives a living nightmare and lock you into buying their add on mapping software for these radios. I believe this is also why you will not get the Chrysler support people to put anything in an email, and insist on you calling them on the phone. Bottom line,the uCionnect software, or the Town and Country radio is a poor setup that has a long way to go to meet the functionality of Chrysler's competition.