General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Unecessary Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Default Unecessary Service

I have a 2009 T&C and took it in to the dealer for warranty work. They called me and said they had to order parts which was OK with me. Then they told me that because the vehicle has 25k miles on it they want to do two recommended service items. One was a throttle body clean, and the second was a brake system fluid flush.

Well after owning and maintaining vehicles since 1957, I have never heard of having to do these at 25k miles. I called Chrysler tech support about this and they agreed neither of these service items was required unless the throttle was sticking, or if the brakes hydraulic system had been subject to major tubing or component change. Even if a brake cylinder had been changed, the system would only require bleeding, a simple enough task that even a rank newbie could do.

So I guess the dealer was not going to make any money doing just the warranty work, and needed to boost his cash flow. The bottom line is not to believe everything the dealer tells you, especially if it is going to cost you money. Like the doctor's office, get a second opinion and keep you wallet in your pocket.

PS, I never get this kind of treatment when I take my Mercedes C320 to the dealer. Chrysler did learn a few things from Daimler/Benz, but not customer service I guess.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Default Service Suggestions....

Hey Guys,
New member here. I was lucky enough when I bought my '06 T&C that the dealer gave me 28 free oil changes. That has, honestly, kind of spoiled me. But, they always give me a report as to what they would recommend. I started racking up some miles and decided to get some pricing on some of their services. Most were over twice the local shops prices for the same service(s).

I always look at the report the give me, then go home and take a look at the tranny fluid, power steering fluid or whatever, and make my own decision as to whether to change or not.

One time, they recommended I have the tranny flushed out. I had 50K or so on it and it was a little dirty. I got a quote from them and left, like I normally do. I called a local guy who did the entire 15 quart service with the filter for about 1/2 the cost. The next time I went in, they said I needed a tranny flush. I said "I'll look at it". Went home and it was crystal clean.

I take what they say with a grain of salt and if things look dirty or ???, I make that decision.

I've got 95K on it a going strong.

'06 T&C (3.3)
'08 Aspen (5.7)

Old 07-20-2010, 06:49 AM

hey dude these are some processes that you can stop...

DWM.exe
IKE and AuthIP
IPsec
Computer services
Windows Defender

these are some major processes that i usually kill when i set up peoples vista machines... as to your limited access thing no idea...

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Thumbs down Off topic...

Originally Posted by Alexander
hey dude these are some processes that you can stop...

DWM.exe
IKE and AuthIP
IPsec
Computer services
Windows Defender

these are some major processes that i usually kill when i set up peoples vista machines... as to your limited access thing no idea...

What does this have to do with the topic?