K-Cars Talk about the infamous K-Cars within.

help with seat cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Default help with seat cable

I haver a 92 lebaron lx convertible with the power drivers seat. I recently bought a new seat switch and fixed the forward movement problem I had with it. Now I have a new problem. I had noticed that the recline feature was a little quirky, while painting the side cover I noticed that the rubber covering(line) for the recline mechanism cable had hardened and totally disintegrated. This is allowing the cable end to slip out. Anyone have this cable in one piece and can it even be replaced??? Could i fix the problem by getting a length of tubing the approximate size of the original and attaching it to the old fitting??
Also..the inside weatherstripping on the door(between door and window) is breaking apart. Anyone know of a good replacement for it??
Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Talking

I didn't get any responses..but i fixed it!!Basically..I went to home depot and got some tubing you would use for installing an ice maker on a refrigerator. I bought 1/4 inch but should have gone a size up probably. It only cost $3 for a roll big enough to make ten of these repairs. I started by removing the screws that held the plastic side guards in place(four in all) Then I removed the seat bolts and unplugged the seat. Neither difficult to do at all. You MIGHT do it with the seat in but it is way more difficult. Next you fish the motor that runs the recliner out of the seat after unbolting two screws.The cable will just fall out of both ends if your old one had crumbled as badly as mine had done. Then you take a small pick and clean out all the little pieces of the old cable from the metal ends.Run the cable through your plastic tube making sure the part under the seat is seated well in the metal end. There are square ends on the cable that fit the motor. I used duct tape to keep the hose attached to the end. Screw the motor back on then do the same at other end making sure to cut the tube long enough to fit into the other metal end. It also has a clamp that should be removed. Tape it also then test before reinstalling all the way. The tubing really just keeps the cable from backing out of the fittings. Woorks perfect now!!