New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

04 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Question 04 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L

Hi, I'm new here, I've posted 2 threads but can't find them now. I've recently (8-30-2015) bought a 04 Chrysler Sebring Touring 2.7L Sedan. I'm not familiar with Chrysler's, I have owned 2 Dodge Grand Caravan's and 1 Plymouth Voyager mini van though.

Ok, this is what is going on. I bought this car from a couple that said the only reason they parked it and was selling it was because the husband was coming home one day from work and on his road it died. He said the alternator went out in it. He said he replaced it, but kept it parked because they got 2 new vehicles to drive. So I went and test drove it and only got to test drive it a 1/2 of mile because he said the battery was shot that was in it. I pulled back up in his driveway and as soon as I came to a stop, the car died and wouldn't restart, which I figured the battery, seeing he said it wasn't a good battery to began with. When we came back to buy the car, we took the 5 month old battery out of my husbands 91 Chevy S10 4.3L pick up and put it in the Sebring for me to get home, when I started it, it had a real slow crank but did start. I got 3/4 of the way home and it felt like the front end jerked OUT from under the front of the car, not once, but TWICE and the 2nd time it did it, I noticed the car shut down (the oil lamp on the dash came on and I had NO power), so I pulled over, popped the hood (the temp gauge was below a 1/2) and where the climate cooling bleeder valve sets it was spewing out water where it sets on the motor and you could hear the water boiling/bubbling in the overflow tank, I gently and carefully released the radiator cap on the over flow tank and it spewed for a good 35/45 seconds before it stopped. I let the car completely cool down then added more water. I got in it and it had a very slow cranking but did start, I got it about 2 miles and I noticed the heat gauage was right over 1/2 and it did it again, the oil lamp on the dash came on and I had no power again. I repeat the steps and decided that was enough, I locked it up and left it sitting on the side of the highway for 8 hours before I could get someone to help me get it home. When we went back and my son (which is the one that helped me get it home) got in it to start it, it was dead, very slow cranking but wouldn't start, we ended up pulling it home with my husband's S10. I let it set a week and went out there Saturday (9-4) and tried to start it and it's still dead, hooked up the jumper cables and it's STILL dead.

I need to know how to test this alternator myself at home because I can't get it to the Parts Store to have it tested and I know my battery is good. I have a Multi Meter, I just need to know what to set it on and what it should read to tell me if he's twit and actually changed out this alternator, because from the way it cranks, the sound and not starting the car, is a classic tail of "bad alternator", because I've it before on my Caravans.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You!!

Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 PM

Hi If you are still having issue with alternator remove it and bring to auto parts store they can test the unit for free.set the meter on DC and hold black ground to anything metal. put red test lead to alternator post ( the one with the heavy wire and large nut.) look at meter while engine is running. should be over 13.0 amps.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:39 PM

I would test it in the car, but the won't start. So this weekend I'll have to take the alternator off the car and have it tested. The dipsh*t that I bought the car from "said" he changed it out with a "junkyard" one, but I think he's an idiot... and did something wrong or got a bad alternator... I've never owned a Chrysler before and surely not a 2.7L