New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

2000 Durango fuel pump, relays & fuzes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 PM
Talking 2000 Durango fuel pump, relays & fuzes

I've had my Durango stored about a year, connecting ,and disconnecting, the battery, once a moth to run engine for awhile.. i installed new pump, prior to storing, and it starts up, instantly,runs great.the last time i started it, well it wouldnt start. I put about 4 gal of gas, still no.I spray start fluid, fires right up, then dies.. We listen for the pump, nothing. so i'm figuring relay and fuze.my questions, which two terminals can i jump, to check relay, the fuze, its red square clear top, can i check it with multi meter?: its the only 10 amp, but can i switch with another fuze, 20, or 30 amp, just to see if the pump will respond, like a split sec., without causing damage anywhere else? any suggestions, will be appreciated,guys,and again, a pre-thank you to all.. its an SLT 4x4 4.7 litre v8...thank you..

Last edited by charles92154; 02-18-2016 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 AM

The fuse can be checked with a multi-meter. Simply remove it and check continuity between the two pins of the fuse. If it is bad, you should be able to acquire a new one from any parts store. I would not recommend installing a higher amperage fuse.

My guess would be more towards the relay though. I had this problem with my Ranger. It would loose connection and stop the pump. Turns out the connections in the fuse box were filled with dust due to a misaligned dust cover. Simply wiggling the relay would make it reconnect. So I ended up blowing out the connections and adding some dielectric grease. This helped solve the problem.

I'd first check the fuse, simple to do. If it's good, check the relay. A simple method to check it would be to turn the key on, remove the relay and listen or feel for a "click" when removing and installing it. If it doesn't do anything, try using one of the other relays in it's place (they should be interchangeable). I would not recommend trying to jump the terminals. If it still doesn't do anything with a different relay, you have other issues and need to further troubleshoot.

Hope this helps. BTW, posting questions about your Durango in the Aspen section will probably help get better responses than in the New Member Area. Since the Aspen is based on the Durango.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:00 PM

thanx for the 411 on my pump..i'll let ya know what happens.. again thanx, from southern california...