New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

2014 Chrysler Town and Country will not start!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 01:08 PM
Default 2014 Chrysler Town and Country will not start!!

I’ve been a mechanic for about 2 years so I still have plenty to learn but I’m seriously stumped by this one. It’s a 2014 town and country with the 3.6L. It was a suspected head gasket because the guy said it overheated and then when they tried to start it it was puffing out smoke out the exhaust and “the coolant was gone.” When I got the vehicle, the coolant wasn’t gone, it was pretty much full. I checked the oil and is wasn’t milky. Neither was the coolant. I did a compression test on all cylinders and they were all roughly 130 psi. Nothing concerning there. Customer said the spark plugs hadn’t been changed in forever so I purchased those anyways and installed them to rule that out (they looked pretty bad). I tested spark on every coil and there is a good hot spark. I tested fuel pressure and there’s no problems there. There’s also no air restrictions. Looking into the intake, all valves look good. I cranked the engine over with spark plugs in while looking in the radiator cap and there were no bubbles. The only other way the head gasket could be blown is between cylinder and oil gallery, and there does seem to be some oil on the spark plugs when I take them out, so maybe the valve seals are worn or something. I just need help! I wanted to get some advice before I just start tearing the valve covers off and inspecting the head and head gasket because that’s a lot of labor! Engine seems very healthy and only has 60k miles. No obvious sounds or clatter. Very normal sounding while cranking. All fuses are good.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

so it will not start yes? only need 3 things to run and engine spark fuel and air. you ruled our 2 spark and fuel now about the compression. test you did. Minimum is 120. by rule of thumb. 150 is norm. even with that low of compression it should still at least fire up. How bad he they let it over heat and for how long? Also they they put coolant in before it got to you? if not then it highly doubt it over heated.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:36 PM

Codes?