Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0303 & Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Default Code P0303 & Blown head gasket

So, I started out with a mess of codes that I didn't even know that I had because my check engine light was not illuminated. It's still not and I'm not sure if there's a light that needs to be replaced or what. But anyway, I had about five codes ranging from P0172 to P0303.
I found out about these after my radiator went bad and she overheated. I try not to let it get too hot, but about five houses down from where she was going to get her new radiator, she let out a big white puffy smoke and a poof. I figure my head gasket blew right then. But I was hoping against hope that that wasn't the case. In response, because she was running rough, these are the steps that I took :
Changed spark plugs, plug wires, cleaned MAF, new radiator, new serpentine belt, new air filter, oil & oil filter change, new valve cover gaskets, fuel treatment to clean injectors, sea foam, Bar's Leaks Head Gasket Repair
I think that's all 😂
She ran better for a little while and I got rid of all the codes except for the P0303, which is misfire cylinder three. That's when I changed the spark plugs and plug number three was pretty fouled. I'm also getting another code that reads as P0303, but it has a funny symbol before and after it. So, technically even though it's the same code it reads as two codes.
I have to get this damn thing inspected. Are there any other suggestions before I go tear the whole thing apart to replace the head gasket, all the while hoping against hope that I haven't warped a cylinder....?
Any suggestions or thoughts are Mucho appreciated....
Thanks!
Wendy

Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

year make model and engine size is a need to know first. Are you losing coolant or oil ?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:10 AM

It's a 2002 Chrysler T&C 3.8L
I am not losing coolant since our use the bars leaks Head gasket repair. I've also done an radiator flush.
Oil seems fine.
After all that, the code I am getting is a P0172

Old 07-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

that bars leak stuff is bad new for engines thats all im going to say about that. as fr the 172 look it up see all the possible things it ca be there is a list of about 10 to 15 different things for a 172

Old 07-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Got it. I know it's a bandaid, but I didn't have a choice. I needed to get to work and back and this vehicle was my only option. I have gone through that entire list, as previously posted, but you can add changed the cool pack and cleaned that map sensor really really well (and may just replace it this evening if that didn't work)

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM

Honestly, until the top end of the engine is pulled apart to see what damage has been done, trying to figure codes and spending money on plug wires etc is just wasting your time and money. I do hear what you are saying, needing it for work and all but the reality is, continue driving it like this and you're heading for another breakdown and possibly more damage.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 AM

I know that you are absolutely correct, but short of not showing up for work, I don't know what else to do. I don't have help, Or a ride to get to my job. Frustrating