New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

grand voyager battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Default grand voyager battery

hi after reading allsorts of issues with batteries on Grand Voyager on this forum I am interested in this subject. My 04 Grand Voyager is fitted with what looks like the original red top Optima battery. I do not have total confidence in this battery but if it is the original it has obviously lasted well. the 2.8 CRD's are a big engine and take some cranking from cold, mine always feels like I will only have 1 chance for it to start but it usually does. Another issue is the cars are full of toys like heated seats, power doors etc and if the car is not used daily this will take it out of the battery, I think a lot of people do not realise that when the doors are left open there are about 10/12 courtesy lights that stay on and this will kill the battery in minutes. there is a switch on the dash that eliminates these lights thus reducing battery drain.
I will run mine for the summer and see how I go, come the winter I will look at replacing the Optima with maybe a Varta equivalent I have read about on this forum?
Are there LED bulbs on the market to replace the courtesy light bulbs?
Also are there Xenon headlight kits available for 04 GV's
thanks for your help.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 PM

I spent a year trying to solve starting problems (and miscellaneous ECU problems) with my 2005 2.8CRD. Turned out it was the battery. My garage had replaced the faulty original with a larger battery (80 Ah), and the engine just would not start from cold unless the battery had been recently overcharged. However it turned out that the new battery had a lower cranking capacity than the original (not marked on the battery). You will probably have to pay an extortinate amount (£100+) for a battery meeting the original Chrysler spec (I believe it needs a "cold rank Amps rating of 600). Fitting a spec battery solved the starting problem AND the associated issues (alarm, random instument readings, etc etc.)

Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Kingy... Yes, you can replace the interior bulbs with LEDs the awkward ones being the map lights in the overhead console. I did mine a couple of years ago. HIDs can be bought from hids4u.co.uk about £85 but there are two bulb types and you need the one for reflector headlights rather than projector 35w is good enough. The battery is not original - that was Chrysler's own brand Mopar, but the Optima is very similar and has the power the engine needs for winter starts - it has coils instead of plates and therefore greater electrode area. I replaced my Mopar battery about 3 years ago with an Optima - dont change unles you battery tests defective.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM

According to the handbook, "The interior lights will automatically turn off in about 15 minutes if any of the following occur:
A door, sliding door or liftgate is left open"

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Default new voyager owner

Hi everyone,
I would like to record my thanks for the information I have already learned! I have recently bought an 03 Grand Voyager and have experianced Battery issues resulting in the loss of aux supply.
I have come to the same conclusion that the correct Battery of 600 amps cranking + is essential.
I would also love to know the best place to buy a workshop manual complete with electrical drawings.
Thanks

Old 11-12-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
According to the handbook, "The interior lights will automatically turn off in about 15 minutes if any of the following occur:
A door, sliding door or liftgate is left open"
Yes, that is true, but if you are loading the car for a trip closing and reopening a door resets the lights - it is very easy to have the lights on long enough to challenge a battery if you don't turn them off. And it is sort of embarassing to ask a neighbour for a jump start when all the luggage and the family are sitting expectantly in the car.

So yes, it is quite easy to change most of the interior and door bulbs to LED arrays and they tend to be brighter and whiter than the incandescent bulbs. The exception being, as I said before, the map lights... they are a little more challenging and I think I had to get bulb holders from Rock Auto to hold the replacement LED array

Old 11-12-2013, 05:02 AM

@sladey (and anybody else interested) You can download all your manuals/wiring diagrams for free from this site: Index of /pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals
I think it was QinteQ who first posted that link a while back so credit should go to him/her :O)

Old 11-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Default grand voyager battery/bulbs

hi Guys, thanks for all info- with the 15 second cut off on courtesy lights I don't think I would chance it for that long there are that many lights come on when one door is open, you are pushing your luck for that long. I prefer to control them manually with the handy switch on the dash.
can you trickle charge an Optima battery (coils) like a normal battery?
Has any one come across a supplier for upgrading the complete tail light unit to LED's? cheers

Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Default oops

sorry I meant 15 minutes on the courtesy lights-thanks

Old 11-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Default thanks guys

Thanks Alan for putting me on to the free manual link a big help.
With regard to the switch, on the dash for the interior lights I am assuming that this is the "dimmer" switch located by headlight switch.

I have now fitted my voyager with a batt cranking rating of 700 amp hr should do the trick!!!

Quick Reply: grand voyager battery