New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

HELP on door boot removal !

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Cool HELP on door boot removal !

Hi everyone....I'm not really new here cuz I look at these threads whenever I run into a perplexing problem. I figured I may as well register so I did today. I need to know how to get the driver door boot off. I'm having the same problem as many other with the driver and passenger windows all of a sudden stop working. Both back windows work fine. Passenger window works off the passenger control switch but not the driver's switch. Both mirror controls are not working either left or right.. I did notice a while back that the driver auto-up setting would not hold to memory but the windows worked at the time. Now nothing except the back windows and the locks work off the driver control switches. I have the door panel apart, the driver control switch out and nothing really seems wrong. My gut is telling me it's the wires in the door boot.How do I get it off to check?It doesn't appear to come off easily.
I already have a couple of broken clips now from disassembling the door panel and don't want anything else to get buggered up.
I'm a single woman with determination but limited hand stregnth,
Please help if you can.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 PM

Welcome to the forum.

1. This is the part of the forum for introducing yourself. If you have problems with your vehicle, the best place to post your question is in the appropriate car forum further down the front page. That's where other owners would go and they might be able to help with an answer.
2. You haven't specified the model and year of your car, which could have a bearing on specific issues with removing the door trim panel.
3. Not sure what you mean by the "door boot" but I'm assuming you are referring to the door trim panel which must be removed to get to the guts of the door.
4. Before you start on that project, it would be well to obtain a set of plastic trim tools. They are fairly cheap (less than $10 from Harbor Freight) and worth their weight in gold for unclipping the panel without damaging it or scratching the paint on the door.
5. If you will be doing some maintenance and repairs on your car you might want to invest in a shop manual such as a Chilton's or Hayne's manual for your specific model. It will give you many tips and allow you to decide whether you and your toolbox are up to a particular repair. You will also be better equipped to discuss a repair job intelligently with a mechanic if you hire out the repair.
6. Door trim panel removal varies from model to model but usually there are some screws that will need to be removed, some bolts that might be hidden to remove and some clips to unclip. (That's why you want the trim tools.) You may need to remove door speakers, wires to switches and lock buttons and trim pieces that hold things together and/or hide fasteners. Disconnect any wiring using the plugs to free the panel. Once you get the trim panel off there will be a water barrier (plastic) that needs to be removed. It is held in place with a bead of sealant all around the edge. Using a very sharp knife or razor blade, cut the bead of sealant in half leaving half the bead on the membrane and half on the door. If you can cut it cleanly, and keep the cut edges clean, you can stick it back together to replace the water barrier as you reassemble the door. Cars are designed to be put together quickly on the assembly line and stay together once assembled. They are hard to take apart but go back together easily.