New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Hi Everbody

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM
kai
Default Hi Everbody

Hi this is the first time I have used this site and look forward to reading and soaking up a wealth of knowledge you guys and gals have about this great mark. I have a 2.5TDI Voyager that has served me very well although not new when I got her, I have covered over 200,000 ks she looks as good as the day I first turned the key.

Although I haven't yet read any of threads yet I am sure much has been written about the cars "clockspring" and its replacement. would naybody happen to know how date these units as in, is there any identifying way of dating these units. Also how often do the airbags themselves have to be replaced?

Any "pearls of wisdom", will be appreciated.

Kai

Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM

I have no idea about the dates on the units and how often the airbags fail..I do know that i decided to install a new clock spring in my 2002 Caravan and although it was a pretty easy job, it failed too fix the airbag lite from going off.. so i have just left it, from time to time the lit will go off...i just find getting it fixed too costly..just getting a Diagnostic check to find out what the problem is , is over 100.00 , and then you go from there..

I am not sure but i think if you have nothing working horn or cruise, then the clock spring may need replacing,, in my case the horn and cruise was working ... so i have another issue.. i am just going to leave it.. I only drive 5,000 kms a Year..My 2002 van has 105,000 kms... it sits in the driveway most days....

Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
kai
Smile message of appreciation

Many thanks for your reply, Rick, you are probably right it does sound like the infamouse "clockspring" has gone as bo the the airbag light is on and the horn fails to work I'm just a little concerned if there is any liklhood of the airbag deploying whist this "clockspring " is not working.

One of those stupid costly things to be replaced as I can't pass my annual vehicle inspection with a defective horn.

Just you are having relaxing Easter

Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 AM

I would not take the risk of the airbag going off even though the lite is on... I would take the same steps replacing it as if it was active.

Unhook your battery and leave it for 20 mins or so, before you start,,this will drain any current from the air bag module.. You will also need a steering wheel puller, i bought mine for less then 10.00.. not that hard to change the clockspring.. once you get it done, hook the battery back up,
and when you do start the van just stay away from the steering wheel ( Just in case )

I would think with your horn not working there a good chance you do have a clock spring problem..Rick

Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
kai
Default Clock spring replaced

Rick, all good great, result and thanks for the safety tips, airbag did not deployed and puller was required as stated. Now the "AIRBAG" light is OFF and the horn works again, nice one. Fingers crossed Vehicle inspection in the morning

Crazy thing is.. although my car was part of a recall and the clockspring was meant to have been replaced back in Jan 2006, during the course of a routine service, no mention of this is on the invoice as the customer didn't have to pay (funny you would have thought they would have been keen to mention it and install confidence) but looking at the part it has the following details.

04685833AD A which I assume is the "Mopar", part number
23199 M which i'm guessing is date of manufacture as in 01/23/99

Unless sombody is able to shed some light.

Here in Spain Europe the clockspring costs 171.11 Euros

labour 40.00 Euros for 1 hr

including taxes 249.11 Euros

I think you'll agree it's not cheep if you are paying a "Chrysler" Dealer to undertake this work in Spain. Having said that, correct me if i'm wrong I have read that this item has a free "lifetime", parts and labour warranty just not in Spain for what ever reason.

Take Care and thanks agin for your pearls of wisdom

Old 04-10-2012, 08:32 AM

Now that i go back, i do remember something about a recall, mine was not covered , its a 2002.. thats why i did it myself, dealer wanted a bit over 200.00 and i bought a new one for $60.00

My clockspring did not have a lifetime warrenty here in Canada, it may depend if your van is within the recall years..they would probably then cover it free of charge for Lifetime .

all i know is my 2002 was not under the recall, and i was on my own.. Glad you got it changed and it works for you.. Rick

Old 04-13-2012, 05:12 AM
kai

Hi Rick , sorry to hear that your "clockspring ", couldn't be replaced GRATIS.

Unfortunately I've strired a bit of a hornets nest as it would appear mine should have been replaced as mentioned back in 2006 as per the recall and this was confirmed by "Chrysler International",recently.

It looks like this didn't take place as i 've done some checking on the old one and it is the same year as the manufacture of the car.

I think and it's only my opinion that its unlikely they would have replaced it with a NEW 1998 clockspring in 2006.

Interresting Huh

Have a great weekend