New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Loss of drive (gears)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Loss of drive (gears)

hi folks, was driving my daughters '98 voyager today when i noticed i could not accelerate any faster,revs were going up but speed wasn't. i stopped and and tried to select different gears,no drive!, i checked TRANSMISSION FLUID and saw a milky white liquid on dip stick, then noticed same on the floor underneath aswell as more fluid, engine starts and runs but sounds very noisey,

would really appreciate any ideas and comments

regards john

Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM

See if That same MILKSHAKE is in the Motor Oil???

Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 AM

Checked it at the time there was no sign just oil, at work now, will check again when I get home
Thanks
John

Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Default re milkshake in engine oil

hi again checked the engine oil no sign of milkshake,just as it should be,

Old 06-13-2011, 03:58 PM

If I had to Guess, I would say that the transmission Cooler ruptured, and you will find all Kinds of Yummy Stuff Thru The cooling system as well.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM

could you explain what would be involved in putting this right, and when you say the cooling system do you mean for the engine aswell or just for the gearbox

thanks for taking the time to reply it is appreciated
john

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM

Inside your radiator, is a Cooler for the transmission. It allows the trans fluid to be cooled by the engine coolant flowing thru the radiator. If the cooler were to rupture, or be compromised, the trans fluid mixes with coolant, and distrubutes the "Milkshake" not only to the trans, but thru the cooling system of the engine as well.

Check the coolant bottle and Radiator Neck for evidence of the contamination. If it proves out......Drain the coolant, allow the vehicle to sit overnight, remove the trans pan, and allow the vehicle to sit overnight. replace the radiator, refill both fluids with fresh, and run the vehicle until it heats up. recheck for contamination.

Keep your fingers crossed at all times................

Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 PM

hi djinn, had a check of the coolant in expansion tank......there wasnt any!!! going to drain system tomorrow after work see what is left in there. and get back to you if thats ok

Old 06-16-2011, 04:13 PM

ok checked radiator and full of milkshake same with gear box ,have drained both and removed rad, will i have to flush gearbox if so what with,
thanks for the help
john

Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 PM

The problem is this......

It may be a little less harsh, being coolant instead of water, But any foreighn fluid that enters the trans, will react negatively with the bonding material on your clutches....

Probably your best bet....let the trans sit with the pan off, and allow it to "DRIP DRY" for a day or two......Flushing is Not really recommended with these units, and since you dont have a flush machine in your driveway (Unless the wife is a Saint ) It would require you to drive it somewhere to have it done......Not a great Idea....

If you can Pull the trans cooler lines off, you can flush it yourself, But it makes a Horrible mess.......Fill the trans with fresh fluid....And put the cooler hoses in a bucket.....Run the car, and Pour a quart into the dipstick tube....and keep repeating until the fluid comes out clean.....

You do realize that if that junk is in your rad...it is also thru the engine...And the cooling system needs attention too?