New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Multiple engine misfire nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:22 PM
Default Multiple engine misfire nightmare

I have a 2009 2.4l chrysler seabring. I have changed the plugs, coil/wires, fuel pump, crankshaft position sensor, battery, alternator, Pcv valve, valve cover gasket to eliminate other various codes yet this issue still haunts me. The car starts like a dream and idles perfect. After I give it some gas the codes starts to pop up. I can switch out the plugs and coils and they all work just fine,. It's the #1 and #4 cylinders that always misfire, #2 and #3 work fine all the time. There's no coolant getting into the head so I know it's not the gasket. There is a coolant leak somewhere in the rear of the engine though. I was thinking bad gas because it started happening after I drove about 40 miles and it didn't start until I shut the car off but it starts and runs fine until I accelerate. I'm at my wits and with this thing and I need this car for work. Any input would be much appreciated.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:51 PM

Welcome to the forum. You might get more responses if you post your question in the Sebring area of the forum which is where Sebring owners hang out. This area is where you introduce yourself. Have you checked the fuel injectors? Before you start pulling anything apart, try a can of fuel injector cleaner. It's cheap and easy, and essentially no-risk. Can't hurt. Might help.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:17 PM

Thank you very much..

Old 04-08-2022, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

only p301 and and p304? can you see the misfire on the scanner counting?

Old 04-08-2022, 09:48 PM

It's just the 301. There were a few other codes popping up but I knocked those out. It's always the #1 and #4 cylinders and they don't start misfiring until I lay into the throttle otherwise it'll idle all day without throwing the code. I was thinking bad gas until I realized it ran fine like that, who knows it still may be. It's like 40 miles away at a buddies house so it's a pain in the *** to go and work on. I'm changing the maf sensor this weekend to set if that does anything. I was thinking since you give it gas it sucks more air faster so it might be that faulting out but not throwing the code.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:09 PM

I don't see any counting on the scanner. It's a cheap pos

Old 04-09-2022, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

how long have you owned this car"? FYI arbitrarily charging parts just adds the human error into the equation

Old 04-11-2022, 07:26 PM

All the parts changed were changed as needed. This problem just started. Maintenance has been top notch. Alternator went out so I changed it. Starter died, changed it (the housing actually broke, never seen that before) battery went bad got a new one. I changed the coils and plugs as standard maintenence, valve cover leaking, changed the gasket. Threw codes for camshaft and crankshaft position l sensor changed those. I haven't changed anything arbitrarily. I know how to wrench. This is just something strange i have ran into and was hoping I could find someone that had either ran into this problem and figured it out or someone with superior knowledge and could give me ideas as to what it may be

Old 04-12-2022, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Did not answer the question to how long have you owned this car? Were all the items replaced in short order or over a length of time.
Why i mentioned the just changing parts is because you put them all in one post. Information is in the details of the post. If the misfire just happened and you did the items listed above then we could be looking at human error. if you did all this work then months later the miss came around then likely not human issue or parts issue. When informing people on a web site you mist remember that they are not there to see the car they do not know this history of the car the when were and what's of it. I ask the items to eliminate none critical causes and to narrow down the information you provided. You would be surprised how many questions i get when im asked a vary spacfic question to which a normal person would have no idea what the question actually ment or what the stuff even is. Someone told them about it or they actually put in the work to determine if that was the correct issue at hand. If you want my help i ask certain questions to take less of my time and less of your time. If you are willing to learn and put forth effort aka testing of things im all in. IF you want just spouting off of what it could be im not your guy.