New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

New to everything! Any advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Talking New to everything! Any advice please?

Hi there!

I'm a 19yo chick with absolutely no knowledge of cars, other than how to drive one. (And I can change a tire...) I have a passion for old cars and I'd like to eventually have a project car to restore. Chryslers have always appealed to me for some reason.

I have my late grandfather's car sitting on my property. It's a Chrysler Regal according to the badge. After some searching on the net I found a car that appears to be the same thing, which is called '1976 VK Chrysler Valiant wagon'. The badge on mine says something about 4.3 Electronic Lean Burn. I doubt I have any paper work for the car, it's been sitting under a pile of leaves and sticks for the past 15 years or so.

Now, what I'd like to know is how much success would I likely have in getting this old POS up and going again? I don't know why it ended up being dumped, but my dad might remember.

Please bare with me, I have no idea what I'm talking about... From the outside the car looks okay, I can't see any dents or damage or major missing parts but the paint work has had it. The bumpers and silver parts don't seem to be rusty and the interior is actually in pretty good shape, and it's all original. I tried to check underneath and under the hood for rust, but like I said, I have no idea what I'm looking at. There doesn't appear to be any giant rusty holes in it, but I couldn't see much without a torch.

I remember riding in this car as a kid, and beautiful sound the engine made. It has a lot of sentimental value so I'd like to do something with it.

This thing is one of those cars that is so ugly you just can't not love it.

Here are a couple of crappy pictures I took.

If anyone can offer advice, I would greatly appreciate it! Where do I even start with this thing?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Welcome to the forum kismet
do you have any idea what you are getting yourself into that will be 1 big job an for someone with know experience i will applaud you for giving it a try
i don't recognize the car at all a valiant in this country was a small car
the only value of the car is it being your granddads car
good luck

Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM

I wouldnt even try!!!!! good luck, you will need a lot of money for that!!!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 PM

well as a piece of advice. I would tell you to ask an experienced mechanic to go to your home and do a complete research of all the problems of the car and he may give you a list of the most evident problems to fix. Then you can come back to the forums and ask how much time/money and if its posible to solve them before buying anything......

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Melssj5
I wouldnt even try!!!!! good luck, you will need a lot of money for that!!!
for a 19 year old girl to try this horray the internet is a place to learn search search girl

Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 PM

When I was a kid, we used to sit in the very back seat of those station wagons like that and make faces at people behind us. The rear seats faced rearward and we had no seat belts, PLUS the window rolled down...lol. My mom had to turn around several times because I dropped my G.I. Joe out the window.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.