New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

New Member Seeking Dealer Service Advice

Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Default New Member Seeking Dealer Service Advice

I have a 2003 Chrysler 300M with a 3.5L V6 and 97k miles. Never had any issues with the car at all, ran like a dream. I was driving on the highway home from school and I happened to notice the temperature gauge was rapidly rising so I pulled off asap and shut the car off. As soon as I cut it off I notice white smoke coming out of the right side of the hood. Upon inspection I see quite a bit of coolant has spilled onto my alternator (opposite side of coolant cap/fill area). AAA tows it for free to a local Chrysler/Dodge dealership and I assume its a hose issue (easy fix). They notify me it will be 150 for diagnostic testing to pin point the issue I say ok. 3 days later I receive a call stating a pressure test revealed a large crack on my radiator requiring a new radiator and cap. They also power flushed the coolant system, performed routine maintenance of cooling system, refilled/bled it, and replaced both front drive belts. The cost for me was around 790 dollars (seemed high but didnt have time to do it myself). I pick up the car the next day and within 20 miles it starts overheating again (gradual overheat) and I bring it back with the heat blowing full blast (temp never goes above halfway). They then proceed to tell me its a thermostat problem and that will need to be replaced (242 dollars normal price but 120 for me since I had to come back). I wonder why they didnt check the thermostat right off the bat (feeling hoses for circulation is not really labor intensive). They claim they have to pull the thermostat out to check it and then tell me they had to heat it with a torch for it to open up. After installing the new thermostat it still overheats on them so 3 days later I find out the water pump impeller has been damaged from grinding on the housing and also the timing belt needs to be replaced also. This is an additional 1100 dollars and they do the work without my approval. At this point I have only paid the initial 790. They call me to let me know they replaced the timing belt and water pump yet it still is overheating. They suspect now that its a head or head gasket problem (i actually asked this before the first repair because the cars only worth 3k). They claim they did a combustion test and it was negative after the radiator replacement but now its showing traces of exhaust in the coolant. They expect me to pay the 1100 discounted to 600 for the water pump/timing belt I never authorized to be replaced. and another 600 to send the heads out to a machine shop for inspection which may come back inconclusive due to a "hairline crack". Also they said that since I have aluminum heads they cannot be fixed if warped and must be replaced (exceeding the value of the car). Now I am faced with a dilemma of already paying 790 for a useless radiator/drive belts, potentially being charged 600 for a water pump/timing belt installation I never authorized, and gambling 600 more to see if its just a head gasket because they cant figure it out without disassembling the engine.

My ultimate question to you guys is what do you think I should do? I have already spoken with the service advisor, service manager, service director (all at the dealership) with no clear resolution. I have also contacted Chrysler corporation and filed a complaint against the dealership, and I am now moving forward by contacting the BBB & and FL Dept. of Agriculture/Consumer Affairs.

Wouldnt you think that the original diagnostic including: Pressure test cooling system, replacing radiator, replacing drive belts, replacing radiator cap, performing a general inspection, servicing the engine radiator cooling system, routine maintenance of cooling system, power flushed cooling system + installed new coolant, and bled out system and test ran for proper operation (Totaling 459 dollars in labor alone) would identify a completely seized thermostat, failing water pump, and leaky head gasket before being released back to the customer?