Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Dealer Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Default Dealer Service

I have owned my 2007 AWD Pacifica since new and have always serviced the vehicle at a Chrysler dealership. Routine oil changes, tire rotations, filters,etc. I have also experimented with four dealers in a reasonable radius of my home to see how has the best service. Two delaers are looking to upsell their services claiming that what is in the factory manual is bare minimum service. At 20,000 miles they were trying to sell an engine flush, trans and filter replacement in addition to an oil change and air conditioning filter. Their list of services also included a number of items that were to be check and not replaced for a total of $400.00.

I am not a hard driver and I change my oil every 3,500 miles. I own the vehicle and plan to keep it and I want to make sure I am doing the right maintenance. I currently have 30 k and will be due for an oil change over the next two months. I asked the last Chrysler tech who worked on my car if I need to do any other maintenance and he said at this point no.

I have asked this question on this forum earlier in the year but as I start to accumulate mileage I wanted to know if anyone has done additional maintenance items at the mileage I currently have.

Any insights on this would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Default RE: Dealer Service

At 20,000 miles they were trying to SELL ...
There's your key word. Service departments are sales departments in disguise, and will take your money for any extras they can get out of you. I'd venture to say you are overpaying by having them do oil changes too, but that's your decision. Many of those fluid swaps you can do yourself for almost nothing (compared to what they charge), with a little knowledge and a few tools.

New cars nowadays are built with more advanced components than ever before, and I'd say even the owner's manual recommendations are sometimes service items you can skip. Hardly "bare minimum" as you have been told. Even 3,000 mile oil changes are overkill for most cars now, even though the oil & oil change shops don't want you to know that. That's a number from the 1960's, and I'd say car parts were just a tad different then! All that said, it certainly won't HURT to have extra services performed on your Pacifica... but in most cases you are probably spending money unnecessarily.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Default RE: Dealer Service

Working at a dealer the main service intervals are 15,000 miles and 30,000 miles. Check your owners manual for what the maintance records show. Some Items are listed as required service items. Meaning if you don't do them at that service interval you could be out of luck for the warranty on that item.