New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

please help...2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5 bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Default please help...2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5 bearing problem

Hi newbie here
Need some help
I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5 awd.
I got this car from a friend for free and decided to tackle the issue it has.
I drove this car home from its prior location it had no power but it did move very slow.(it was a 2 mile ride)
I dropped the oil pan and low and behold I found nothing but big pieces of metal blocking the oil pick up tube.
So I removed the bearing cover and found the middle bearing was gone that's what was causing all the knocking....went to Chrysler and ordered a new bearing cleaned everything up cleaned the oil pick up
Spun the crank nothing looking bad there and all other bearings are nice and snug replaced the bad bearing put everything back with some fresh oil and filter and pan gasket and went to crank her and she won't start???
Went down again to make sure the bearing cap was on correct and everything seems fine spun the crank again and it seems a little tighter but still won't start...tried flooring the gas pedal and she tries to turn over but it sputters and dies.if I don't touch the gas pedal it just has a struggling cranking sound to it like if a battery is dieing type of crank. Also checked timing belt and timing belt is in new condition considering the car only has 89,000 miles.
I'm am confused as to what is going on now I torqued everything to spec and did everything correct according to Chrysler and I'm confused as to why she won't stay running.it sputters for about 2 seconds then dies out
Any help would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long story just would like to get this thing running again.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 PM

Maybe the battery is dying. Could also be corroded wiring to the starter or at the battery ground. Might want to check the electrical end of the problem. If the car sat for a long period that could explain the problem.

At to your work, when you replace bearings you should check the clearance with plastigauge. There's more to it than tightening the bolts to spec.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:07 AM

Hi
Thanks for the reply..
Grounds are good battery is new.
If I take that bearing out the car will run but will run ****ty and won't die it has a bad miss bit stays running...I Dont understand what I might be doing wrong.
I check the connecting rod and its not bent and the crank is in good also when I spun it it had no cracks, scuffs or scratcharks anywhere just when I put that bearing in it refuses to start.

Old 07-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Old 07-03-2016, 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the help problem was solved..
Went out and bought some plastiguage and measured clearance
And everything was up to spec so went to put it all back and it got tight again..did not have no side to side play..
My brother held the bearing cap up to the sky and noticed that one of the bolts is slightly bent barely noticeable it was not stretched or stripped just barely noticeable bend.went out to my Chrysler dealer ordered 2 new bolts and she runs awesome..hopefully this will help someone out of they run into the same issue.
I want to thank everyone for the help and ideas.