New Member Area New to CF? Stop in tell us about you.

Power Steering Fluid Pressure Switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Default Power Steering Fluid Pressure Switch

I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser and have no problem until recent. The enginer management lit up and checked the manual for several possible causes. I took my car to AutoZone for testing and the result is power steering fuild pressure switch. I am on the tight budget and just want to know what will you mechanic do to replace or fix the switch. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to have it fixed. Can I do it myself?

Mark

Old 07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Power Steering Fluid Pressure Switch

POWER STEERING FLUID PRESSURE SWITCH NOTE: Before proceeding with this removal and installation procedure, review SERVICE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS at the beginning of REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION in this section. REMOVAL[*]Disconnect negative battery cable from the negative post of the battery. Be sure cable is isolated from negative post on battery.[*]Raise the vehicle. Refer to HOISTING in the LUBRICATION AND MAINTENANCE group in this service manual for the correct lifting procedure.[*]Locate the power steering fluid pressure switch on the back side of the power steering gear Switch Location[*]Remove the vehicle wiring harness connector from the power steering fluid pressure switch NOTE: When removing and installing the power steering pressure switch, use a 7/8 inch deep well socket. The deep well socket will prevent damage to the plastic electrical connector area of the power steering fluid pressure switch. [*]Unscrew and remove the power steering fluid pressure switch from the power steering gear. [/ol] INSTALLATION[*]By hand, screw the power steering pressure switch into the power steering gear until it is fully seated Switch Location Tighten the power steering pressure switch to a maximum torque of 8 NĀ·m (70 in. lbs.) Over-torquing will result in stripping the threads out of the power steering pressure switch port in the steering gear.[*]Install the vehicle wiring harness connector. Be sure the latch on the wiring harness connector is fully engaged with the locking tab on the power steering pressure switch.[*]Lower the vehicle.[*]Fill the power steering fluid reservoir to the correct fluid level. Use only MoparĀ® Power Steering Fluid, or equivalent.[*]Connect the negative cable to the negative post of the battery.[*]Start the engine and turn the steering wheel several times stop-to-stop to bleed any air from the fluid in the power steering system. Stop the engine, check the fluid level, and inspect the system for leaks[/ol]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/CA1668AB534849CC8B29F6C8BD8C0845.gif[/IMG]