Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Ticket in small town, by stop watch

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Default Ticket in small town, by stop watch

[hr]

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Anyway to fight this?... I attached the ticket to view, all personal information was crossed out. I was leaving my college on the main road of this town. I am going back friday to see if there was a speed limit sign from the college street to where the cop was sitting. Not sure if there was or if it was after the cop. He used a robic sg-808 (stop watch) It was a single lane road. for one lane on the right one lane on the left going opposite ways. The cop went again on coming traffic because there was a car in between me and him. The main information on the ticket is: Nature of offense: speeding 41.8mph allowed 25mph. Other, Other Robic SC-808.
Miles timed: .023 Secs Timed 1.98
Station Equip tested: w-29
Date equipment tested: 3-17-08[/align]..... I believe Pennsylvania Miles Timed cannot be less than .03 and i was .023.. PA 75 CS 3368[/align][/align]ANY IDEAS? anywhere where i can get traffic laws of Pennsylvania. I have been looking cant find anything.
Ticket Enlarged Personal information crossed out:[/align]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m.../THETICKET.jpg[/align]

Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Default RE: Ticket in small town, by stop watch

It looks much more like a "college" issued violation that a state traffic ticket. Was the officer from the college police ?

In New York the officer can issue a speeding ticket based just on observation and his estimation of your speed ......... that is if he has been trained on radar operation ......... which then certifies him / her as an expert.

If the officer has been on the job for awhile... Yer screwed .... Pay the fine.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 AM

No it was the town's police they aren't aloud on the college grounds. So he was waiting after the property. I think I found something, if a according to PA law, a speed limit of 25 mpg is not legal
Why?
It is considered a local highway

Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 AM

Townships & villages can pass local statutes that reduce speeds on specific roads for specific reasons. Note that your ticket was written for a statute versus a State V&T violation.... Things could be different in Pa.

Trying to perceive technicalities that will get you out of the ticket will not work as well as just going and talking to the judge seeking a reduction "in the interest of justice". A reduction means you still pay a fine to a lesser....perhaps non-moving charge.That assumes your driving record is not alreadyscarred with violations....... if it is your chances are lower........ You did not say you were innocent ........ so I know around here the best way to attain a "break" or reduction is to be honest. Judges and Cops have heard it all before.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:44 PM

moe in wichita ks
in kansas if there is a mistake in the ticket the judge will most of the time through it out. also look up the ordance sited on the ticket, if he sited the wrong ordance the ticket is out.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:36 AM

In New York State the ticket is considered an invitation to appear. Plus you need to remember that you have one of several copies....... any error made could be corrected on the court copies.

So Ryan..... How did it turn out ?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Depending on where you live, there can be very questionable ways of determining speed.
I was in North Carolina and a cop gave me a ticket for doing 50mph in a 35mph zone by "estimating" my speed while he was standing outside of his car. No equipment use, just his "expert" opinion of my speed. What a joke. Ticket lawyer basically said I was better off paying it and taking a first offense deal the judge offers, which is no points on your license; unless a second ticket is issued within 1year, then I am automatically guilty of both. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:55 PM

What town in PA was the ticket issued from?