Other Any other Chrysler within.

1992 LeBaron LX Message Center light bub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM
Cool 1992 LeBaron LX Message Center light bub replacement

Our '92 LeBaron Message Center's (the one at the top for the dash) last warning light has died. Anyone have an idea on how to access to replace bulbs? I don't want to start prying the black cover strip off if there is some special tool, procedure. If removing the dash becomes the answer then the dead bulbs will remain in place. Any insights are appreciated.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:16 PM

H i all, Just in case you are interested, answered my own question. Removing the black plastic message is easy, carefully pry it off with either a thin plastic or metal putty knife starting at the top middle and working toward each end. Once started I just used my fingers to pop the strip out the dash, it's held in place by 7 snap/push in connectors. I would recommend doing this in warm weather as the black plastic strip is long and could be brittle if too cold.
Once disconnected from the dash from the dash the wiring plug is on the left side, lift the tab and disconnect the plug from the black strip. The light bulbs are integral mini twist and release sockets. Use an Ohm meter to check the continuity across the bulb connections before attempting to find replacements. The bulb to ribbon cable circuit is pretty flimsy and just a little corrosion, vibration will cause an open. If the bulbs all test good, replace them in the the housing and using the small screw driver gently twist them back and forth a couple of times to remove any corrosion between the flexible ribbon and bulb contacts. Once all the bulbs are back into the strip, press the power connector in, open a door and the trunk and turn the ignition swith to accessory. Hopefully the lights for "Door Ajar" and "Deck Ajar" will come on. If not try rotating the one(s) that are not working with the power on. IF this doesn't work then the problem is deeper into the wiring system and the question is: "Is it really worth the time and effort" to know a door or trunk is open?
If the ohm meter test showed the bulb(s) open good, luck trying to find replacements, maybe a junker? I searched the 'Net for a couple hours with no success.