Chrysler Aspen This new SUV adds a luxury touch to the performance and quality that you would expect from a Chrysler Corp. SUV.

Finished installing trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Default Finished installing trailer hitch

Just to say finished installing a trailer hitch and electrical wiring.

By the way, I modified my signature to reflect installation and mileage.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Nice, do you have a pics? How difficult was the install? I'm looking to install one for my 09' as well. Thanks, fellow Maryland'er!

One more newb question - I see your sig says a 7.4?

Old 11-02-2016, 10:46 AM

Haha. Yeah, I believe those numbers are backwards in his sig. It's either 4.7 or 5.7 liter on the Aspens. If it's 7.4 liter, he's done one hell of an upgrade to that motor. Which I would be WAY more interested in hearing more about than the hitch. LOL

Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Ah, good point. I forgot about the 4.7 in the Aspen.

Still curious to hear about the install. I just watched a video on etrailer.com for a hitch install on an Aspen. Looks fairly involved!

Old 11-02-2016, 01:48 PM

I really can't be sure. Mine came with the tow package installed. I've heard from others that it is fairly extensive.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:58 PM

7.4? That's the engine on the space shuttle. Problem is there in no space shuttle.

Post on install coming.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:42 PM
Default Some points of install

Kool Vanilla, just some of my thoughts.

After finishing the complete install, do not think it is difficult. Only major problem, the tube is not centered in the hitch. Just time consuming to work around. Complete installation took two days as took many breaks to think about and rest.

When I purchased the hitch, I also purchased a trailer lighting kit that took current directly from the battery. I did not want to risk blowing a vehicle fuse by vehicle and trailer using too much current. You may want to think about that.

Thanks for the “7.4”. Read that a couple of times and did not see it. That was the computer’s fault.

You might like to know some of install highlights. Do not know your capability but will share some of my mistakes.

Tried three times to raise the rear fascia enough to drill. Could not do. Fascia now has a small crack in it because applied to much pressure by trying to raise enough to drill.

I even tried removing the four bolts in each wheel well. Still no luck.

Decided to remove the entire piece of rear fascia.

The following is what I did as a procedure. Assume you can fill in what is not covered.

If need more detailed procedures, please let me know and will try to provide.

First, get the spare tire out of the way.

Then I took out the four bolts at rear of the vehicle holding the rear fascia.

Then four bolts in wheel well.

There is also a bolt behind the wheel well plastic, at the top. You guessed it. Remove.

I then did same to other side.

I then raised hatch door and took out three bolts and a pushpin at each end.

I tried to push and pull rear fascia to the rear. Could not do. Utilized a soft rubber hammer on fascia at wheel well. Worked one side towards rear about two inches. Then repeated on the other side.

Then using hands, push driver’s side until almost off. On mine, the driver’s side still had an electrical connection for the back-up assist system. System not installed.

Then push passenger’s side all the way off and lay it on something so as not to scratch.

I pushed the driver’s side all the way off being careful of the electrical wires and laid it on the spare tire.

With some difficulty, I then moved the passenger’s side of fascia to the driver’s side.

At this point, I was very glad I removed the fascia. The frame was open, nothing on top to cut.

Also, I am not an expert with a drill. I am not able to drill from back of frame to front of frame and still hit a bull’s eye with drill bit. With the fascia off, could drill from back to front and from front to back. Makes for an easier and more accurate job.

I sat under vehicle and drilled from front to back through hitch back plate holes.

I mounted the hitch so it was just snug and hanging. Had a problem. The tube in the hitch was not centered. Took time to measure. Then re-measured. Then tried to place center of tube in center of frame. However, I felt not close enough. By this time, I was ignoring the hitch and only going by the center of the tube as wanted to center because that is the pull point for trailer. Anyway, I kept measuring and locating hitch.

Finally settled for about one thirty second being off center.

I tightened the four nuts with a ratchet. Did not torque. Quit for the day.

Next day, torqued and verified torque.

Then started electric lighting kit install. Rear fascia still off and spare out of way.

Ran wire from battery to rear after I installed the wire in a flex plastic covering that is factory split. Do not recall what called. Purpose is to protect from sharp edges.

Had to splice additional wire, as kit did not have enough.

I utilized flex covering when wiring ran from lighting kit to under vehicle.

Checked electrical hookups. Everything correct. Put back together, spare up, enjoy.