Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Default Trailer Hitch

Does any one know a site where i can get the proper hitch for a 2006 pacifica thats fairly cheap?

Old 04-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Old 04-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Default RE: Trailer Hitch

Well I don't have much luck with pics, I added one in a post here and the post never showed up, so here goes again.
I looked at the hitch on that web site and saw that it is much closer to the ground than my dealer installed hitch on
my 2007 Pac Touring AWD

[IMG]local://upfiles/4279/C2E33D4C6015414AAAE3F6830D1AC43B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 AM

There are three or four major manufacturers of hitches. The aftermarket units accommodate the stock rear bumper cover not having the hitch cut out. So you get a factory hitch at a much higher cost and the need to cut a half circle in the rear fascia .... or replace it with a fascia that has the cut out already in it.

The trailer tongue used makes up for any difference in height ..... and matching the respective heights of the trailer i.e. the cup & ball would be required irregardless of the hitch brand.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:56 AM

I respectfully disagree.. You could use a 6 inch high tongue (for example) but that would still not alter the height of the hitch itself which is what would be dragging on the ground
while coming out of a gas station (another example)

Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM

Hang on .... I do not think we disagree about anything. I doubt if the aftermarket hitch placementwould be "lower" than the dual resonators are on the Pac.

I guess it's about expectations. I put a tow hitch on a 07 Hyundai Entourage last year which is much lower....... But I would not ever tow a significantly heavy item with that vehicle. The same for the Pac ..... there are reasonable limits.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 AM

I just went througha month of gettingthe proper hitch setup to tow a trailer that is 2100lbs. empty and 3500 with my two motorcycles inside.

TheMopar hitch that is pictured in the accessories pages and on the Chrysler website and everywhere else shows an installed hitch which has a 2" square receiving mount flush with the bumper fascia and is hidden perfectly. This hitch has been superseded by an inferior designed unit that now aims the receiving hole downward. You then need to purchase a 90 degree adapter that fits like sh*t. It also places the receiving hole a few inches lower and the hitch ball will now be hanging about 12 inches out from the bumper. If you try to use a weight distribution device, it will place the ball out another 8"-10" out. This is the worst set up I have ever seen. DoNOTaccept this set up from your dealer!

I hunted around at Chrysler dealers to find the older (original) designed hitch as pictured everywhere and I found one. I was lucky and I have to say it worked perfectly. Why Chrysler decided to discontinue this is ridiculous. Go to a Reese/DrawTite dealer that specializes in hitches and have them set you up with a weight distribution device and electric brake controller and your Pacifica will tow it beautifully. You will also want to use the auto stick for shifting.

I just towed my trailer empty from North Virginia to Central Massachusetts with no problems.

If you have any other questions, shoot. I have learned more that I cared to about Pacifica's and towing these past weeks.