Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

DIY trailer hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Default DIY trailer hitch?

I want to install a trailer hitch on my 07 Pacifica. Reading on the manufacturer's website, it states that the exhaust system will have to be lowered to do this. Has anybody added a hitch DIY? Also what about wiring? I was quoted around $230 for just the hitch and about $120 more for wiring. Sounds way high to me.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Default RE: DIY trailer hitch?

I was quoted around $800.00 for mine but they gave it to me to make the deal on the car.
They did a very nice job on the install and wiring. I expected the 1 1/4 inch type like I had on a Subaru Outback and
Chevy Equinox, but it was the full sized 2 inch one.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Fang

I was quoted around $800.00 for mine but they gave it to me to make the deal on the car.
They did a very nice job on the install and wiring. I expected the 1 1/4 inch type like I had on a Subaru Outback and
Chevy Equinox, but it was the full sized 2 inch one.
Fang,was this done at the dealer?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Don't know about the hitch but the wiring is plug n play. I have seen the wiring kit with instructions on Ebay for about $35.00, really easy to install. Does not need to be spliced just plugs into the existing wires.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM

I did not install myself but seriously considered it and looked at it a great deal:

Install of the wiriing (as noted) seems to be a snap - plugs into existing harness
Install of the hitch seems fairly straight forward as well, as I understand there is no frame drilling or welding to install the hitch - took the dealer about 2 hours to do mine (they too gave me a great deal on the install price when I bought it so did not bother doing it myselfl).

WORD OF CAUTION - they have changed the hitch style for the Pacifica! It is NOT a standard horizontal hitch anymore. It is a vertical hitch that requires some odd adapter to get an actual hitch receiver. It is not visible when installed at all unless you put the adapter in. Long story short - I had one installed and did not accept it, they had to find the original style and order that and re-install my hitch to get what I had expected. Make sure that you are clear when ordering what you want - Chrysler apparently just sends the newer part number without telling the dealer! The only way the dealer I went to was able to find one was another dealer happened to have the older model in stock and they got it from them - Chrysler apparently does not have them at all anymore.

This is what the original part looks like installed:
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/chpatahire.html

The newer model is like the one on the 300:
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/ch30030trhir.html
Look at the accessories for this link and you will see the odd adapter that is needed. Aside from being sloppy (in my opinion), I did not want that for use with a hitch mounted bike rack at all... and it greatly lowers the clearance to have that installed which worried me about driveways at a steep incline, etc.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Dustymedic: Yes mine was done by the dealer in Casper, WY

[IMG]local://upfiles/4279/A23918013D8E4D068C6C764F5752CEC2.jpg[/IMG]