Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

cv joints 2008 eng ck lite 2.4 eng

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Default cv joints 2008 eng ck lite 2.4 eng

what kind of sounds will the cv joints make when going bad. i have a 100,000 miles and something makes a dull knock when driving. like when going over irregularities in road surface. cannot find anything loose that would make a noise. also, how do you turn off the check engine light? thanks for your help
looked in the manual, but didn;t help

Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 PM

You turn off the check engine light by fixing what is causing it to be on, then it either will turn itself off or you use a code reader to turn it off. First, hook up a code reader and find out why it's on. There will be a fault code in the computer causing the light to be on. That code will be a number like PXXXX where the XXXX is a number associated with a particular malfunction. There are hundreds of possible numbers so nobody here can tell you what it is.
Many auto parts stores will hook up a code reader for free (unless you're in California) and tell you the code. They should tell you what it means as well, but if not, you can look up OBD II fault codes on the internet. Then you need to fix whatever is causing the code. Some codes will go away by themselves after you have fixed the problem, some need to be reset using the code reader.
Problems can be anything from a loose gas cap to a major computer failure.

As for the front end noise, if it's associated with a road irregularity, it's more probably a suspension problem, like worn ball joints or strut. CV joints are more likely to announce their problems on acceleration, even on a smooth road.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:22 PM

thanks for the reply.........i rulled out the cv joints for now........got to focus on the steering rack. i suspect it may be worn and is making a knocking sound but haven't confirmed this. tie rod ends are tight and all boots look good. need to get on a lift where i can get a hold of it and see if there is any radial movement of the rack.

i replaced the ign coils last week and all was well. this week the ck egn light was on as i previously said. i disconnected the coil plugs and re attached and the ck egn light went out. guess a connection wasen't quite all the way home. all is well there.

on a previous thread i was looking for insite on replacing the top deck. well i went ahead and ordered a top kit and will see how it goes when i get around to install.

cheers

Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 PM

My older model Sebring developed an annoying sound when going over a rough stretch of road. Turned out to be the upper ball joints, but I replaced several other components on the way to finding the problem.

There are a few websites that discuss convertible top replacement, some with downloadable instructions. There's an art to it. I've seen poorly installed tops driving around and don't think I'd be happy if it turned out like one of those. Personally, I think I'd hire it done and I'd check out the workmanship of the shop before committing to it.