Welcome to the Chrysler Forum - Chrysler Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
That is almost certainly a problem with the shifter interlock cable that goes between the shifter and the ignition it prevents you from removing your key unless the shifter is in park. One end of the cable is under the shifter trim and the other is at the lock cylinder under the steering column trim. You'd have to remove these to check the cable and make sure it is hooked up and adjusted properly.
I just replaced the shifter assembly in my 2008 Pacifica. But now the key is stuck in the ignition and shifter won't shift again. I think I need to adjust the cable that releases the shifter and key how do I adjust it? Would it be a break sensor?
1. Place gearshift lever in gated park (P).
2. Attempt to move vehicle by rocking back and forth on level ground. If vehicle does not move, attempt to start engine. If engine starts, the park position is correct.
3. Set parking brake.
4. Turn key to on/run and depress brake pedal. Place gearshift lever in neutral (N).
5. Attempt to start engine. If engine starts in both neutral (N) or park (P), gearshift cable is adjusted properly. No adjustment is required.
6. If engine does not start in either park (P) or neutral (N), perform adjustment procedure.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in gated park (P) and remove ignition key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle manual valve lever .
4. Pull the gearshift lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park. Reset the park brake.
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 N·m (70 in. lbs.). Gearshift cable should now be properly adjusted.
7. Verify adjustment by using the verification procedure.