Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Town & Country VES Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by cc46808
I had the same issue as OP and bought the ribbon on eBay, install went great. However, I still have a black screen. The VES does power up when I open the screen this time, did not before. Does anyone know of any other troubleshooting tips? (p1cm01dw1ah, 2nd row.)
This issue is not uncommon. Go back in and check the ZIF connectors, open them up and reinsert the cable while closing latches and holding cable squarely. It's a little tricky and almost requires three hands, but it will solve the problem. Also make sure latches on ZIF connectors are fully closed, this has caused some to work for a short period and then come loose and lose picture again. Hope this helped.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Any update to this for the people who have replaced the cables and are still having problems with the 2nd screen?

My specific problem is that My 3rd row screen works fine, Satellite TV, DVD, all work. No Split screen. The 2nd row however doesn't come on at all. The screen stays blank no matter the position of the screen.

At one time I had the problem where if I adjusted the screen slightly it would turn on (this was before the cable replacement). Then it just stopped. Now it won't come on at all.

I tried it so many ways. I tried two different cables I received. I tried the cable off the 3rd row screen that works and put it on the second row. I tried it opened up so there was no bend in the cable (basically put a table in the car so it could sit on all opened up).

Nothing seems to work. I really do not want to replace the whole screen if its' something simple.

Thanks

Josh

Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Question VES Issue Fix

I have the problem where the second row screen is black and the third row screen has the split display. When mine started to go out, the entire electrical system acted wonky... Dash lights would blink on and off receded idly until lia closed the second row screen! All along, I thought it was an electrical problem caused by the screens ribbon cable breaking... I had a similar issue with an old laptop's ribbon cable that started to break from opening and closing the lid... What I explained this to my local Dodge dealer repair shop they told me that I was crazy and wanted to sell me an entire new system for $2,000! Needless to say, I did not fix it... It's been broke for four years. Last night I started poking around the internet and found that many people had this problem and was able to resolve it as a DYI project for $10 to $20. My question to this group is, should I also replace the third row screens ribbon cable as a preventative measure or has most of the folks that did the repair have continued success by only replacing the second row screen ribbon cable?
Also, anyone else have the problem with their electrical system going haywire when their screen started to malfunction? Just curious if my issue was isolated or widespread. Thanks!
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 4.0

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM

Dminnici, I had the exact same problem. The electrical system went haywire, the front dash started lighting up, turning on and off.

I replaced the ribbon cables and this fixed the dashboard problem, however my 2nd row TV is still out.

3rd row works fine, no split screen at all.

Josh

Old 07-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JoshFink
Dminnici, I had the exact same problem. The electrical system went haywire, the front dash started lighting up, turning on and off.

I replaced the ribbon cables and this fixed the dashboard problem, however my 2nd row TV is still out.

3rd row works fine, no split screen at all.

Josh
I had the same flaky electronic symptoms on my 2nd tv component before it went out. It would dimm out the lights around the rear dvd component. I tried fixing the ribbon harness, but still have a blank display.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jose@ATX
I had the same flaky electronic symptoms on my 2nd tv component before it went out. It would dimm out the lights around the rear dvd component. I tried fixing the ribbon harness, but still have a blank display.
Mine is still out. I haven't had the chance to sit down and disassemble everything again. Not sure what I would do even if I did though as if it's not the ribbon cable then I'm not sure what it would be.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jose@ATX
Jose@ATX,

Have you noticed any areas where the wires were folded over or crimped?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:54 PM

Wife and I bought a 08 TC last week with the VES system. Found this forum/thread after searching for answers. Looks like I have the same issue as alot of others. Lower DVD will play on the Nav screen in Park, (Power light does NOT come on though)...cannot turn on the VES by using the touch screen button. Both roof TV's are blank no matter what I try. Ordered 2 new ribbon cables from the guy on here via Ebay. So I'm hoping that the new cables will solve the problem. Van came with the remotes and headphones missing....shouldn't have to have these should I? I will report back after I find an afternoon to take everything apart and replace the cables. Thanks to all the previous posters on this thread.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM

It worked! Took everything apart and replaced both ribbon cables last night. Power light on the lower DVD now comes on and all VES controls on the Nav screen are active. Both roof TV's come on when flipped down like they should. I believe the middle (forward roof) TV had the bad cable but I replaced both since everything was apart. Pretty simple fix once you undo everything....wife and daughter can't wait for a road trip now.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:17 PM

Also having problem with both of my VES monitors * 08 grand caravan * both screens are completely black. Haven't checked the fuse yet but not really thinking that's what's wrong seeing as how the fuse powers other things and everything else seems to work. Ppl have said to check the ribbon cables on both monitors...thoughts????

Quick Reply: 08 Town & Country VES Problem