Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost cut

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Default Boost cut

Hi everyone , i recently aquired a 2.5 2003/4 grand voyager, it was cheap because of an oil leak behind the gearbox , engine was removed and full cambelt water pump clutch 3 oil seals egr blocked off the lot.
It runs great and more powerful than i thought it would be BUT its getting a boost cut around 3800/4000 rpm in 3rd 4th 5th gear which is annoying as its great to drive, is there any common places to check ? when the engine was out i did try to check all the pipe work and all looked good, the engine has covered 136000 mile and is sweet, its the 16 valve Vm jobbie.
Any ideas would be great thanks for any replies, even the gramer police welcome.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
tfb

any fault codes logged?

While I'm a big fan of blocking off EGR's on older cars - most of the modern ECU's detect it and will stick you in limp home mode.

By boost cut, do you mean a hard cut and engine into limp mode or the power tailing off a bit?

Regards
Richard

Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
any fault codes logged?

While I'm a big fan of blocking off EGR's on older cars - most of the modern ECU's detect it and will stick you in limp home mode.

By boost cut, do you mean a hard cut and engine into limp mode or the power tailing off a bit?

Regards
Richard
EGR's

- me too, interested, that is
- I've blocked all mine with a bean tin and tin snips in Citroen & Fiat's for decades
- I'd love to block off in my 05 CRD, but like yourself always assumed EEprom 'problems'

Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Sorr for the sow reply ,ive been in bed for 3 days .

Yes its sudden boost cut only when on full throttle , it throws the engine management light on whilst its cut but doesnt log any faults on the eco, wont do it in 1st or second, pretty convinced its the blank, ill hav to try to drill some holes in it.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:34 AM
tfb

If the MIL comes on a fault code will be logged. The ECU's on these are a bugger to talk to - they use quite an odd protocol. What software are you using to talk to it with?

Regards

richard

Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
If the MIL comes on a fault code will be logged. The ECU's on these are a bugger to talk to - they use quite an odd protocol. What software are you using to talk to it with?

Regards

Richard
HiYa Richard,

What are you using - I've tried all sorts see here ref ETHOS / Solus Pro and a few others but apart from their own mainstealer specific wiTECH readers I've never found anything that will 'deep read'.

Would you like to elaborate on their protocols ?

Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM

To be honest guys ive only tried a cheapy bluetooth module at the moment and im awaiting a mate to have a few minutes to cheeck with his , he has several and loans a snap on when his struggle so ill post what success i get and with what system.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by VVVVVVVVVVVVVVm
To be honest guys ive only tried a cheapy bluetooth module at the moment and im awaiting a mate to have a few minutes to cheeck with his , he has several and loans a snap on when his struggle so ill post what success i get and with what system.
- the Cyrysler's own 'keydance' already available in your car will give as much OBD OBD2 as the Torque Pro does
- see above I've tried ETHOS / Solus Pro / Versus Pro / with updated Personality Keys - all useless
- which is why I am interested in what Richie calls 'odd [CANcomms - I asume] protocols'
- I'm more interested in StarSCAN not the old school DRBIII CANbus text based reading of the diags
- If Richie has a workaround on protocol's I'd be interested to know how, maybe he's a MasteTech and can afford a StarSCAN

Old 05-25-2013, 04:06 AM
tfb

It uses SCI protocol, which is why hardly any scan tool will talk to it. Launch X431 is the only one I found that will do it - though there are loads of others that I never tested. From all I've read, Starscan or Witech wont talk to a pre 2008 diesel voyager, DRBIII is the only official chrysler tool that will do it.

OBDII only has to give emissions related fault codes to be compliant with OBDII standard

Regards
Richard

Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM

HiYa Rich, yeh I know about the older DRB's, I was / am only interested in post '04/5 models, the very fact that the """OBDII only has to give emissions related fault codes to be compliant with OBDII standard""" is why it was of no interest to me. You are a lucky man to have such a product that does most of what the manufacturers have at their disposal.

That the Starscan or Witech wont talk to 04-08 CRD voyager's surprises me, but you are much more in the know than I am. I read-up over a year ago on the X431 , went to see one locally, and had conversations on the DDPro board forum, but decided it was far too salty a price for what would be for all intent & purpose 'personal use'

Quick Reply: Boost cut