Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Macpherson strut

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Default Macpherson strut

Hi
My front macpherson strut has pulled out of the top mount assy--------I have ordered a new top assy (and spring compressor)--------Does anyone know if I can get the strut back in place without removing it from the bottom, or do I have to take it right out to get it back together ???---------Thanks for ANY suggestions on this repair
Nigel

Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

U will need to take whole assembly out for any repairs. Me personally I would do a quick strut while assembly.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 AM

Hi
Thanks for that, BUT I tried to get a 'quick-strut' but they seem to be unavailable in UK-------I have had another look at it and realise that it all has to come off------I have now got everything loose awaiting a spring compressor and the top kit-------the shock and spring look good enough to re-fit
Nigel

Old 05-13-2014, 01:03 PM
tfb

I've got a spring compressor you can borrow, can drop it off on my way into work tomorrow night if you like.

Regards
Richard

Old 05-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Past threads on here reported about problems removing these springs, even by garages. Is there a special compressor required.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Ahh, all is in P44cmb Front Suspension Woes 09-16-2013....Terrible that even Chrysler garages had a problem..

Old 05-13-2014, 04:38 PM
pob

I tried to change the top bearing on my car; my standard spring compressors couldn't get enough pressure into the spring. I had to use a ratchet strap aswell as the compressors to get the top mount on.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
I've got a spring compressor you can borrow, can drop it off on my way into work tomorrow night if you like.

Regards
Richard
Hi Richard
You are a star----but I ordered a set today, they should turn up along with the top mount tomorrow (wed)----------reading the last couple of posts it looks like it might not be straight forward.
I am interested in a code reader though --------I don't think I would be able to work the one you have ----looking for one a bit simple
Nigel

Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM

Update on front strut-----
I ordered the top mounting plate and 'bearing' yesterday PM-----and a (cheap) set of spring compressors-----------they arrived by lunch-time today.
The spring compressors would not get the spring short enough in one bite so I also used a G clamp-----got the spring out OK and had quite a nerve-wracking time getting the spring short enough to put the strut back together----eventually used two small ratchet straps as well.
Now all back together and OK.
The job was easier than I expected-----but it helps a lot to watch the operation on U tube first
I would strongly suggest at least three spring compressors----make the job easier/quicker/safer
So now I am waiting for the other side to go
If I had known how easy it would be I would have bought parts for both sides
Nigel & Pamala

Old 05-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by pob
I tried to change the top bearing on my car; my standard spring compressors couldn't get enough pressure into the spring. I had to use a ratchet strap aswell as the compressors to get the top mount on.
Hi
I understand exactly what you mean---------I would have liked at least one more spring compressor---------I also used two small ratchet
Nigel

Quick Reply: Macpherson strut