300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

1999 LHS 3.5l valve cover seal removal

Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Default 1999 LHS 3.5l valve cover seal removal

Ok first off new to the forum and just got this car on a really good deal. Love the car but it had a few problems.

I'm pretty mechanically incline, worked as a mechanic for a few years and do all the work on my cars. I got all the seals replaced on the valve covers (they where shot to hell and the worst I have ever had to do) and now it is trying to idle at a very high RPM. Pretty much trying to redline. I searched on here to find out why it is doing this and really can't find anything. Any help would be nice. Thanks guys/gals!

Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by gimpy
now it is trying to idle at a very high RPM. Pretty much trying to redline. I searched on here to find out why it is doing this and really can't find anything. Any help would be nice. Thanks guys/gals!

Sounds as if the throttle cable is mis-routed or hung up on something, the cable may be looped incorrectly around the lever whose groove the cable sits in. With the engine off, does the gas pedal travel normally or does it seem loose or have very little travel?

Also, possible vacuum leak can cause higher than normal idle speeds. If this were the case you would see IAC counts at zero and still have a high idle, indicating the engine is receiving air from an unmetered source.

Those are the first two places I'd look.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Pull the intake manifold and see if part of one of the gaskets slid down. Seen that a bunch where people will throw all kinds of parts at it.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 007
Sounds as if the throttle cable is mis-routed or hung up on something, the cable may be looped incorrectly around the lever whose groove the cable sits in. With the engine off, does the gas pedal travel normally or does it seem loose or have very little travel?

Also, possible vacuum leak can cause higher than normal idle speeds. If this were the case you would see IAC counts at zero and still have a high idle, indicating the engine is receiving air from an unmetered source.

I checked to see if it was looped or not in the right groove. Everything looks fine. didn't find any vacuum leaks either.

Originally Posted by TNtech
Pull the intake manifold and see if part of one of the gaskets slid down. Seen that a bunch where people will throw all kinds of parts at it.
Thinking about it I don't even remember seeing a gasket on there when I took it off. Thought it was kinda weird not seeing one.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 007

Ok I found a vacuum leak on the back side or the intake manifold. It's coming from the 2 metal lines that go into each side of the intake. I tried finding them here but I don't know what the hell they are called!!! Can someone please help me!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by gimpy
Ok I found a vacuum leak on the back side or the intake manifold. It's coming from the 2 metal lines that go into each side of the intake. I tried finding them here but I don't know what the hell they are called!!! Can someone please help me!!!
Those are the EGR feed tubes. They should 'Y' together and go to the EGR valve at the back of the right cylinder head. At the Intake end there should be a plate on each tube and they are secured with two bolts each. Before you bolt it to the manifold you should have Installed a rubber seal on each tube, tube goes through seal, then secure both tubes and seal together to prevent a huge vacuum leak on each side. They are round and usually blue or bluish/gray in color. I imagine you've lost both of them. If you never noticed them before during disassembly, they probably fell out and are sitting in the bell housing. You can usually reuse them without issue if they aren't damaged.