300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Kinked valve cover hose causing power loss?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Unhappy Kinked valve cover hose causing power loss?

Hi. Recently I noticed that the clean air hose going from the passenger side valve cover on my 3.3 '94 Concorde was cracked and oil was leaking out from the point where it attached to the valve cover. It was also cracked and falling apart at the point where it attached to the air intake. I went to the auto parts store and this young person sold me a piece of heater hose to replace it. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine and he replaced the exhisting hose with this piece of heater hose. When I looked at the new hose after it was installed I saw that it had a large kink in it, effectivly blocking off clean air flow to the valve cover. Recently I've been experiencing intermitting loss of power. I'll press the pedal to the floor but the car will slow down and the RPMs will not rise. If I pump the pedal the car will eventually get up to speed after some surging and the occasional pop. I need to point out that this only happens once in a while. The rest of the time the car is running fine more or less. Another thing I should throw in is that when the car heats up the check engine light comes on and throws a MAP code, after the light comes on the car still runs fine. But, when the car is acting up, with the power loss and whatnot, the light does NOT come on. I noticed today that if the car is acting up and I wiggle that kinked clean air hose there is a hiss of air and the car more or less returns to normal. Now, I there that there can be a lot involved here (TPS, Fuel pressure, filters, etc.) But what I'm curious about is whether or not that kinked hose could be causing a high pressure situation or vacuum situation in the engine that would cause a severe power loss. I'm betting probably not, maybe most likely a failing TPS but I'm just wondering.

I'm sorry if this explanation is a little wordy or hard to understand. Please post if you need clarification of the issue.

I've attached a picture below of the hose in question...

Name:  IMAG0151.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  89.9 KB

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM

bump bump