300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

2001 LHS remote audio control problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Default 2001 LHS remote audio control problem

Hi all, I have a 2001 LHS with AM/FM Cassette and separate CD player, original factory install.

When I leave the car off for the night, the remote control on the steering wheel works just fine, but as soon as I shut off the ignition, and start it again, it stops working. The radio would work but the cd player would stop working. I replaced the cd player once but had the same problem, so I took it back. I think the key is the ignition on/off somehow affecting the remote radio controls and the cd player operation. Any thoughts??

PLEASE!!

P.S Chryler wants $500 for a new unit, but I'd like to figure it out myself!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2001 LHS remote audio control problem

if it was a key ign on off issue more things would be affected than just a radio stuff like dash lights starting of the car AC/Heat that sorta things. If the radio is the only items being affected by what ua re saying then i would say either the radio or the BCM but with out using a scan tool i could not tell u if the BCM is getting the MUX signal from the switches to the BCM. U said that the cd will also not work can u use it with the switches on the radio and not the steering wheel??? if it does not work on the radio as well then yeah i would say a radio issue. If the cd player works with the switches on the player then i would say BCM,switches issue

Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 PM

Well, the cd player does NOT work right on the unit, nor from the steering wheel. The radio works fine from the controls themselves. Both are not working from the steering wheel controls. There are no other things affected so you could be right about the ignition thing. What exactly does BCM stand for? Does it have to do with an internal part getting power to the player? Remember, I already replaced the cd player and it was the same problem, so it has to be something else. Could it be just the radio then, since the cd player connects to radio too??

Chrysler said they wanted to replace the CLOCK SPRING in the steering column because the switches go thru there...does this make sense?
I don't see why that would work since whnever I leave the car overnight it works fine in the morning.

Thanks for your help...any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

u have an external cd changer??? if u replaced the radio already then it would sound like a cd changer then sence that is what u are having the issue with right?
The BCM is Body Control Module and no the cd changer gets its power from the radio it self through a cable. If a clock spring is bad u would also have an issue with horn and air bag light comming on.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:39 AM

I replaced the CD changer already with the same result. When the remote audio controls are working, I can change radio station,change to tape player ,volume control and also select the Cd changer, andit shows disk 1 2,..etc but will not play, aslong as I dont shut off the engine it will stay like this all day.
when I switch off the car and let it sit overnight or a few hours , same thing again.
The other thing I noticed that the memory seat display on the radio(sel 1,2..) does not show when there is the radio problem,..but show again when the remote radio contrls are working.

So this problem I guess could be the BCM( where is it located?) or the radio itself . How can a test this out ?

Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

if u replaced the changer already then that was not the prob to begin with then.
The bcm only is a bridge from the radio controls to the radio it self. The signal is transfered over a pci bus commucation system. So from what u have said it sounds like a radio itself . Let me ask u when the issue is doing its thing can u do anything with the radio?? will it do am fm and so on?
Only the changer and radio switches on the wheel not work correct?? if thats the case then i would say radio itself is the prob.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

When I have the problem,...yes I can control the radio from the control on the radio itself, change to AM/ FM and select the tape player,scan etc., but I cannot select the the CD player.
Thanks for the help you have given me sofar.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a radio issue then

Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Thanks for all the help, but I solved the problem.

I went online and found a website that sold the Chrysler radios that are NEW and actually replace the older model which is known for problems. The old model can be identified by the letters RBB (very small) under the hour (H) and minute (M) buttons. The new model has the letters RBN to tell the difference. I ordered it, installed it no problem, and everything including stuff that didn't ever work before, now works. (ie. when I select a chair setting, it actually displays that too)

If anyone is interested and has the same problems, check out:

S.P.L. ELECTRONIC
www.oem-auto-accessory.com
1-866-380-0529