300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

'94 LHS transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Default '94 LHS transmission problem

My LHS is having a hard time shifting. When it shifts, it jerks really hard. Any ideas on what the problem might be? BTW. transmissin fluid is fine. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Default RE: '94 LHS transmission problem

i have this same problem on my 95 new yorker... too broke to buy a new tranny..

Old 06-30-2005, 05:56 PM

I have a '94 LHS that is also having transmission problems. Periodically, mine will get stuck in 2nd gear until I cycle the power. After putting it in D, the tran. will shift from 1st to 2nd normally and 2nd to 3rd. As soon as it gets into 3rd, it drops into N and the back to 2nd. It will stay in 2nd gear, regardless of what forward gear I put the shifter on, until I turn off the car and restart. When this happens, it last from 1 day to months and then it will start working fine again. This has been going on for over a year now. Anyone have any ideas. I am going to break down and have it looked at, but I don't want to buy a whole new transmission for this old car. Again, when it works, it works fine.
S
teve

Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 AM

I hear that line too often in chryslers... My sebring WILL NOT start... It could be old fluid, or low fluid levels... could be hat the levels were bad for a while and it messed something up i don't know. sounds like smcneese needs a new Transmission computer (TCM)... That's really the only thing that could make it do that and behave all wierd. Then to come and go as it pleases, definately a sign of a machine... I would call the computer on all of them. That new yorker espesially... I can find you a good used TCM for that new yorker, just let me know. As for the LHS's I cant do much about it. The first one ^^^ sounds like the computer isn't learning. You could be just getting on it too hard, or the TCM hasn't relearned you shift parameters, which is often a good sign of going bad. Both of those LHS guys, locate the TCM and pull the plug on them... clean the cantacts with a toothbrush dipped in like jewelry cleaner, or rubbing alcohol, then see if that makes a difference.... good luck to all of you wish I could help more... Let me know about that new yorker... send me a PM

Old 11-08-2005, 02:44 PM

The tranny getting stuck in gear until the power is cycled is a known issue, I have the same problem with my 94 LHS. It only seems to happen at certain outside temps, usually when it's cold out.

Not a thing that can be done that I know about. About the best thing is to replace the tranny with a '96.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:06 AM

My 94 Concorde would "Neutral out" on me, which sounds a lot like what you are going through. Make absolute sure the transmission fluid is the right kind, and is filled to the proper amount. I had to rebuild my transmission though, which wasn't all that difficult, just took a lot of time and effort, something I have a lot of at the moment. The only thing that was wrong was one seal. What happens is this allows the pressure in the transmission to drop, the fluid level falls and the pistons fall out, therefore causing the car to go into neutral. When this happens, the transmission senses something wrong, and puts it into "limp home" mode, so when the pressure comes back, the highest gear it can use is 2nd. I hope this helps. Just so you know, my total cost was about 200 dollars, yours could be less, and in the repair shop my estimate was about 900.