300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

99 300M head/foglight dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Default 99 300M head/foglight dilemma

I have a 1999 Chrysler 300M that I recently purchased, used. The car has been running fine, and while it needs a little work in all aspects, its been great. Today I was driving around and went to pick up my friend. I parked outside with my other friend in the passenger seat, and we were in there a good 15 mins with the radio and heat on. When I went to start up the car and leave, I noticed that when I turned on my lights fully, and then turned on my fog lights, the hazard (or left/right turn indicator on the main console) was on. It wasnt a bright green like when the hazards are on or when I am turning, but a very dim green. I then went to look outside, and my fog lights would not come on. Whenever I turned them on, the yellow lights on the front sides of the car would brighten up. I then went to try out my turn signals, and they were blinking as if on a crack rush. They would blink at very high speeds, but go back to normal as soon as I shut the headlights/foglights off.

I am not very vehicle savvy but I imagine this is maybe a fuse. But I wanted to know if anyone on here had an idea of what might be wrong, or if any of you have experienced this. And if so, how I can fix it. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Default RE: 99 300M head/foglight dilemma

The problem dissappeared for a bit, but I noticed it returned as soon as I used my lighter. Anybody?

Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 PM
moe

sounds like the side that is flashing the fastest has a blown bulb.check when you put that signal on. or maybe you have a bad multi function switch,something is feeding back on the ground side.also check flasher.moe

Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Well I checked the signals, and all the bulbs are fine. It happened once, and then magically worked fine. Then the other night I went to light a cigarette and it began doing this again. If all the lights are off, the turn signals blink normally. As soon as I turn the headlights on, they begin to blink quickly. Then as soon as I pull out to turn on the fog light, the yellow lights in the front side of the car glow brighter, and the turn signals no longer work. Might I add, at no point does the fog lights work. They by all means refuse to work, even after changing fuses, and checking the plugs. It makes no sense to me....

Hey Moe, where abouts in NJ do you work?

Old 11-12-2007, 05:55 PM
moe

south jersey area! near the beach .need a good tech?ps i would go with the switch.,I even think there's a relay located on top of the switch.hummmmmmmmmmm.not sure moe

Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 PM

By the switch, do you mean the one on my dash near the steering wheel?
Im a bit car illiterate, so excuse my ignorance, lol.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM
moe

yes sir its part of the turn signal switch itself.follow this chart.moe
MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
REMOVAL
[*]Open hood and disconnect the negative battery cable remote terminal from the remote battery post Negative Battery Cable Remote Terminal[*]Remove tilt lever.[*]Remove both upper and lower steering column shrouds.[*]Remove multi-function switch mounting screws and connectors [/ol]
INSTALLATION
For installation, reverse the above procedures.
[*]Tighten multi-function switch retaining screws to 17 in. lbs. (2 N·m) torque. [/ol]

Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 PM

Ahh, all those parts I have to remove or move sound like chinese to me. If only you werent so far away, Id take her to you. You sound like you know what youre doing. Im afraid to get in there too far and damage something. About as far as Ill go is simple things. I can mess with the radio, the climate control, the fuses, changing the filters, etc etc.

Where abouts exactly down the shore do you live?. In case youre wondering, I live in the NYC area (Jersey City to be exact). In the end, if I do decide to bring her to you, think you can take a look at another problem I have? (The steering wheel is BADLY off center). I would definetly appreciate it (And dont worry, I would obviously pay for your services). I hope you can help me, or if not better explain what those parts I have to remove are. Sorry to sound so stupid, lol.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:53 AM
moe

hey dave, i work in atlantic city,as far as you fixing your own car i can try walking you thru it.the covers wrapping around your steering column are whatyou need to take off. put tilt wheel in up position ,under the bottom section is 3 screws or even 4 not sure.up inside those holes are the screws.remove those and the two peices will separate.and there is your switch.take the screws out ,lift up and remove the wiring.thats it!if the switch has a relay on top replace that as well.or dave take it to your dealer and have them verify it first.then you can just get the part.i hate to have you spend your money and i be wrong.some times you just have to go to the doctors! let me know bud....moe

Old 11-14-2007, 02:49 PM

Well, today as I got home and parked the car I decided to check if the lights were back to normal. And low and behold, the fog lights worked again and I no longer had the crazy blinking when my head/fog lights were on. Im gonna keep in mind that the last time it happened came when I used the cigarette lighter, so I will stay away from using it. I can however plug in devices fine, without losing the fog lights. I thank you for all your help Moe, and Ill keep this favorited, just in case I do have to get in there and take a look at the switch.

A far off question, but since youve been in the business for a while you might know. Do you know anything about the BG services (www.bgfindashop.com), being that this car is used Ive considered having some of those done to my engine to get a like new feel. Ive tried contacting some dealerships around here that provide their services, but they never respond back or just give me a horrible answer. Maybe theres something else I can do to the engine to clean her out?

Again, thanks for all your help!