300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

99 Concorde trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Default 99 Concorde trans cooler

My wife's 99 concorde with approx. 170k miles on it just recently went through some engine work. I replaced the timing chain's all the valve stem seals and other misc. oil seals to stop the burning and leaking oil issues. When I was working on it the trans cooler developed a hole. I was advised by someone who knows cars better than me that I can just bypass it. It does run into the radiator. Before it went to the cooler and then to the radiator then back to the transmission. Now I have it going just to the radiator. I'm being told it's just fine like that (been that way since last October). But since it's coming up to the summer months (I'm in Michigan) I wanted to put one back on it for the summer driving season. She is going to be driving to Missouri soon and I wanted to do it before that trip. I was thinking with the hot weather that I should put it back on... I'm still be told I don't need it unless I am towing something, which we never do.

So what do you all think? Any mechanics that want to chime in? I've heard people have left them off and had issues, but I don't know 100% if they were towing or not.

Thanks!
Aaron

Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

if the car was not designed to have it on there in the first place it would have been made with out it.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM

That's what I was thinking too. I'll go pick one up and put it in this weekend.

Thanks!
Aaron

Old 03-12-2011, 09:45 PM

Not trying to give u a hard time but I agree too, bad idea not having it hooked up, that car also not meant really to pull anything anyways. Just under normal driving conditions not to meantion steep hills the trans cooler keep the heat from building up to high in the transmission. I just hope the trans fluid levels where never low, I think you might have taken a couple years away from the transmission. Not a good idea.