300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Default OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

Hello,

I have a 2001 Chrysler Concorde with 50K miles, 2.7L engine. I am having a problem with low oil pressure and was wondering if this is common. Originally, the light came on at low idle speed (550 rpm). It would flicker and then remain steady. About 2 months ago, I found a badpressure sensor and replaced it. This AM same thing just started. Oil is good and clean (no sludge) and previously I cleaned out the IAC and throttle body just in case either was sticking and causing the low RPMs and resultant low oil pressure.

So, I have 2 questions:

1. With the car in gear at a stoplight, should the idle drop to 550? If I shift to neutral the idlegoes up to 650 and the oil light goes out. Is there a way to force the idle higher?

2. Could my fairly new sensor have died this soon?

Any help is appreciated. Seeing the red light of engine death is a bit disconcerting...

Bill

Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

I did this on my 99 Condorde with a 2.7

NO: 08-36-99 SUBJECT: Engine Oil Pressure Light Flicker DATE: Oct. 15, 1999 OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves adding a terminal/wire/vent to the oil pressure switch connector. NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE. SYMPTOM/CONDITION: With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle. DIAGNOSIS: Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure. PARTS REQUIRED: Qty Part No. Description 1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent REPAIR PROCEDURE: [ol][*]Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.[*]Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.[*]Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.[*]Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.[*]Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.[*]Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.[*]Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment[/ol]

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Does this fix the problem?

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Well, I was lazy. Once this forum told me that I didn't have an oil pressure problem, then I didn't follow through with the repair. Oil Light still flickers on hot days when the car is warmed up. Anywau, besides the slight oil leak that I can't find (somewher near the alternator) the car seems to run OK.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 AM

I went to the dealership to pick up this $27.50 part and was shocked to find that it looks like a piece of 18awg wire with a female stak-on connector crimped on one end. The wire is inside a piece of corrugated loom and it had electrical tape "sealing" the ends of the loom. Now, can anyone tell me that this "fix" is more than just a makeshift heat sink? Someone please tell me that there is more to this part than about 12 cents of junk drawer filler that they're charging a ridiculous amount for. I didn't buy it. I'm going to make my own and try it out. I'll let you know what the results are.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Hello,

I've read on other posts that the part you speak of is something that can easily be homemade. No one seems to know what this actually does, but it does seem to correct the issue. I guess if I ever sell my car, I'll fix this properly. Search this issue on the other forums (I think Dodge Intrepid) and you'll get more background.

Good Luck...
Bill

Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM

so, i got the same problem after buying Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2002 LX, 2.7 V6, 49K Mileage. Mechanics checked oil pressure sensor and found an oil leak right in sensor. So Sensor was replaced ($37 for part, $70 with labor cost - should be much more cheaper to do for yourself, and as easy). Went 5k miles - oil pressure lamp was never light again at idle or in any other case. Good luck to all who meet this problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Default Oil press light

For me, this problem comes and goes. I've recently found that using 10W30 works better to keep the light from flickering. Also, I had previously replaced the oil press sensor because it had a leak in it. Part was about $28 and it only took 10 minutes. A little messy because I wasn't expecting so much oil to come out. Still never bothered with the vent.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Default Oil pressure switch removal

'99 Concorde, 2.7 engine with the oil light flickering. I'm ready to install thge TSB which supposedly corrects the problem. I found the oil pressure switch but can not figure out how to remove the connector from it. I can see what looks like a red locking tab on the green barrel, but no luck getting past this simple task. Any help out there?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Default Connector

I snapped my connector clamp trying to get it off. I believe that the red piece is a lock. Slide that down and then squeeze the tabs. It will become intuitive once you get it off
Good luck...

Quick Reply: OIL PRESSURE LIGHT