300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Overheating and leaking antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Default Overheating and leaking antifreeze

Last night I ran into a problem with a 2000 lhs. It started overheating and is leaking antifreeze/water on the front passengers side of the car. it seems to be coming from under the radiator. any ideas? (2000 lhs 3.5L)

Old 03-17-2009, 03:21 PM

check hoses and clamps and if u cant find anything run the engine and look for any leak when the thermostat kicks in

Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 AM

it leaks while the car is off. is it common for the waterpump or radiatr to fail on these cars?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM

i dont really know, but if the leak is isolated pretty well towards one side of the car i would check my hoses and radiator for punctures

Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Trigga~
I don't mean to scare you...but my 99 LHS was doing the exact same thing. It was my head gasket. For piece of mind have a pressure test done.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM

The car needed oil. But I'm in the works of needing a head gasket replacement, because there's steam like smoke coming from the tail pipe even after the car has warmed up. No disrespect, but I hate chrysler/dodge. They don't use quality parts for longevity.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by trigga_b
The car needed oil. But I'm in the works of needing a head gasket replacement, because there's steam like smoke coming from the tail pipe even after the car has warmed up. No disrespect, but I hate chrysler/dodge. They don't use quality parts for longevity.
Well if you don't put oil in it - WHAT do you expect?
BTW I have 340,000 on my 91 Caravan - how's that for LONGEVITY? but I DO occasionally change the oil, but not as much now as before.

And if you want to check the engine - do a compression test... tells U a lot and any home mechanic can do it with a $10-20 tester that will last U a lifetime. I bought one when I was 16, still have it, still use it.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM

i didn't suspect the oil because i didnt hear any ticking and i saw a leak from the radiator and there wasnt any coolant in the resevoir. but wow a head gasket replacement? i'll have to take it to my college and let them do the job for free. oh one more unrelated qiestion, when 1 turn signal bulb blow does this make the rest not work?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:12 PM

it shouldnt, check fuses

Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by trigga_b
i didn't suspect the oil because i didnt hear any ticking and i saw a leak from the radiator and there wasnt any coolant in the resevoir. but wow a head gasket replacement? i'll have to take it to my college and let them do the job for free. oh one more unrelated qiestion, when 1 turn signal bulb blow does this make the rest not work?
Hi trigga_b~ Mine showed no signs of anything other than when the car was shut off it leaked coolant on passenger side by radiator. which turned out to be a small hole in the radiator...which could very well be your problem too!! But then it would occasionally overheat every now and then. It didn't do it all the time...sporadically. thats what made me think and change t-stat. It helped for about a month then the temp gage started making its way up again. So someone suggested a pressure test and thats the only way I found out it was head gasket. It wasnt very bad...and the motor was saved. I just wanted to give you a heads up and hope that it helps...I don't mean to jump the gun....but if it is hey you can catch it before it really does damage. On second question...I agree with post above...check fuses.

Last edited by LHSgirl99; 03-24-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Overheating and leaking antifreeze