300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Trac, Brake, & ABS lights on, after 6 months of no use

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Default Trac, Brake, & ABS lights on, after 6 months of no use

Tonight I had to have a tow truck jump start a 2000 LHS, after it sat for 6 months. (Slow charging the battery for a few hours only resulted in fast clicking noises when I attempted to start it.) After it started up, I noticed that the Trac, Brake, & ABS lights turned on and stayed on. I drove it home approx. 70 miles on the freeway. It ran o.k. (seemed a little rough when I first got on the freeway, but that resolved within several miles), I had good heat (mid-teens tonight) both from the ventilation and the heated seat. Had the radio playing and the headlights on. FWIW, once I got home and in the garage, I turned off the car, waited a minute, and was able to start the car with no hesitation. I'm not counting on this starting again in the morning, but I have some confidence that the charging system is working; planning on replacing the battery in my warm garage tomorrow.

The Trac, Brake, & ABS lights never went out. Pushing the Trac button had no effect on the light. The brakes performed well, but I didn't have to brake hard at all, and the roads were completely dry tonight. Would the 6-month layoff with the battery draining possibly have caused these lights to stay on? I plan on taking the car to the corner brake shop tomorrow to have the brakes inspected. This car has been maintained fairly well. But I've never dealt with a car that sat so long, so I don't really know what I should do at this point except change the oil. There was a half-tank of gas when I started out tonight, and still have a third of a tank left -- don't know if I should fill the tank now, or wait to burn through more of the old gas.

Does anyone know whether the 2000 LHS owner's manual can be found online anywhere? Chryslers website only goes back to the 2004 model year.

Advice greatly appreciated!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

if the battery is real week it will cause the ABS light to come on.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Will replacing the battery with a new, fully charged battery make the ABS light turn off? Or will I have to have the code reset?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

if its not a hard code they will turn off when the battery is replaced

Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM

Took it to the local brake shop. They found a broken wire for the ABS sensor; the mount that keeps it away from the wheel was broken. Part was ordered and will be in Monday morning. Was told that this would have caused both the ABS light and the Brake light to turn on.

By the way, the battery appears to be fine. It started right up this morning without hesitation, and it started several times today just fine (no long trips today).

Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Default ABS light still on after repair

So, the corner brake shop replaced a sensor that had a broken wire. ABS light was off when I drove it away and all the way until I tested the ABS on a snowy side street. The ABS activated, and almost immediately, the ABS light came on again. Once the ABS light comes on, ABS is no longer active. Turning off the vehicle appears to reset the code, as the ABS light stays off for any length of time (5 minute cold winter warmup) until ~200 feet down my neighborhood street. (Repeated this several times.)

Took it back to the brake shop. The guy who did the original repair said that he cleared all of the codes after the repair, did a test drive, and checked for codes again, but there were no codes. This morning, the code reader turned up code 30:
Pump motor circuit not working properly.

Code sets in cab determines pump is not running when commanded to, or is running when not commanded.

Cab selftest pump circuit at 12mph (or if brake depressed at 24mph) when vehicle is first driven after antilock stop.

Poss. loose or corroded terminals in pump motor circuit, short to battery (+), open circuit faulty pump motor or faulty cab.
The repairman said he inspected everything and didn't see anything physically wrong, and suggested that a weak battery might be the culprit, ditto-ing what CHRYSLER TECH said here a few days ago. The shop charged the battery for about 10 minutes and sent me on my way, but the light came back on again. Based on this, is the next best course of action to pull the battery out and get it tested?