Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

trac on - trac off

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Default trac on - trac off

This snow has given me the opportunity to play with the 'trac on - trac off' switch and I'm not sure I understand it.

07 Grand Voyager

The button on top of the steering cowl says 'trac off' and when pressed the dislpay also says 'trac off' - isn't this backwards.

Does it mean the trac function is on all the time and only goes off when the button is pressed.

The manual says it shouldn't be left on under normal driving conditions which I can understand but when is it 'off'

Thaks

Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM
tfb

I think it's just the wording in the manual which is confusing.

The traction control lamp on the dash is a warning lamp, a warning that the traction control in not operational as such it should not be lit under normal driving conditions - unless you are in an empty, snowy car park and are having fun terrifying the kids by sliding the car around

Regards

Richard

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM

It is 'backwards' for a good reason. 99.9% of its mileage life its not used, not lit, and not stressing your running gear.

Off is [not lit] ON, and;
On is [lit] OFF

Its UNUSUALLY / NOTICEABLY lit that 0.01% of its life to (1) TELL an eejit s/he's accidentally or otherwise switched it on, or to (2) REMIND a user its on and and of the potential problems for the braking system due to overheated brake temperatures of using electronic low-speed traction control. Its only there for when you are stuck in mud, ice, or snow, only then do you turn the Traction Control System OFF before attempting to 'rock”the vehicle free'.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by fragmented
This snow has given me the opportunity to play with the 'trac on - trac off' switch and I'm not sure I understand it.

07 Grand Voyager

The button on top of the steering cowl says 'trac off' and when pressed the dislpay also says 'trac off' - isn't this backwards.

Does it mean the trac function is on all the time and only goes off when the button is pressed.

The manual says it shouldn't be left on under normal driving conditions which I can understand but when is it 'off'

Thaks
trac control is on all the time(35 mph and under)when you push the button, a light comeson in the dash which tells you that it is now off.