300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Won't accept gas - please help

Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Default Won't accept gas - please help

I have developed a love/hate relationship with my 2004 Chrysler 300M Special. It doesn't have quite 30,000 miles on it. We bought it new and have had numerous problems with it.
The check engine light occasionally comes on usually after I fill the tank. I took it to AutoZone and they ran the code reader on it. He said it was just the gas cap thing, reset the code and it was fine for a day. Then it came back on. I learn to live with it when it seems to be after a fill up. Now we can't fill the tank up.The nozzle kicks off like the tank is full. Pulling the nozzle out some does not help. The lever on the nozzle that allows you to not hold it constantly has several levels, if I make it to the first level it's too much the gas flow kicks off. I feel like I almost got blisters the first time this happened. Now my husband does it and cusses the entire time. It takes about 20 minutes to fill the thing.
It was such a beautiful car and now we're talking about getting rid of it...
I read this to him and he says we are no longer talking about getting rid of it but instead driving it up some Chrysler executives ....
Oh by the way did I forget to mention, my husband is a Chrysler employee at a Kokomo, IN Transmission facility.
We are on our 5th set of brake rotors. We had it serviced with brake work before a trip to FL and had to have it immediately serviced in FL again when we arrived. When we returned to IN that year, we had to have the brakes serviced again. It is a 1200 mile trip that we take each year. We do not drive this car hard.
Oh well, at least the transmission hasn't dropped out of it yet.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Default RE: Won't accept gas - please help

Do you want help with your problem or are you just venting?

As for your not being able to fill up properly I would suggest checking the evap lines for a plug somewhere. check and see if any of the venting lines are pinched or clogged. If these are okay check the esom valve on the nvld pump/canister guy i would bet that this is either damaged or clogged with dirt/debri.

With your brake issue I would say there is either 1 a caliper sticking on it or 2 you drive hard on it. I dont normally see these vehicle go through brakes like this at all.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Default RE: Won't accept gas - please help

Thank you for your quick response. Sorry about the venting.
We'll try to check these things.

Hopefully the brake problem is resolved... I think at least once
something was installed incorrectly, maybe a caliper clip. After that
I think each different dealer (IN vs FL) wanted to recheck the others
work and blame the other. Things happen, it's just a pain..

Thanks again for your help. I'm glad I've found a place to get help.