Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2005 T&C 3.3L Won't start! Please HELP!!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Unhappy 2005 T&C 3.3L Won't start! Please HELP!!

Yesterday my daughter turned the key on, but didn't start the car, and turned on the A/C and Radio, in my 2005 T&C 3.3L. I was in the store and when I came out, the car was dead. After several attempts, finally got it jump started. Drove several other places and home without any problem. Went to go out later and the car wouldn't start. Check engine lite was on (had been on and off for a couple of days) Ran the onboard diagnostic and got the following codes: p0118, p0513, p0522. I have in the past gotten the 522 code on and off. We tried to start again and after several attempts, finally started. The fans were running on high speed for the radiator and the temp gauge kept spiking and dropping. But we drove to where we were going and back just fine. I researched the codes and found out the 118 was the ECT Sensor, 513 has something to do with the antitheft or the wrong key being used and the 522 was the Oil pressure sensor. This morning, tried to start car and it would not start. Cranks, to the point we drained the battery twice and had to recharge it, but it will not turn over. Replaced the ECT, still won't start. Checked codes again and only getting the 118, even after the replacement and even after the battery had been unhooked for over an hour. My dad checked for spark and fuel at the spark plugs and we have both. Ideas?? Suggestions?? HELP??

Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Daughters. You gotta love em.

Not exactly a straight forward no start. Lots to cloud the issue. First thing on my list would be get the battery sorted out. Batteries don't like to be repeatedly drained, especially if more than a couple years old. Erratic voltages can induce codes and lead you down the wrong path. Many computers/monitors have been damaged as a result. Replace it and make sure the cable connections are clean and tight. Oh and stop draining it. You are pressing your luck.

Getting spark and fuel eliminates the usual cause of a crank/no start situation - crankshaft or camshaft sensors. Is your dad absolutely sure he's seeing both?

Is your security system light on while all this is happening? The usual fail mode for that system is a clean start then the engine immediately dies. If it's malfunctioning though anything can happen. The P0513 points in that direction though as I said a weak battery may induce it.

When you crank the engine on a cold start the ECT sensor senses the cold temp and tells the PCM to go full rich for the start and several minutes after. I've never heard of an ECT sensor causing a no start (see link) but then I sure don't have a monopoly on automotive experience either. Could be it's not going full rich. BTW- changing the ECT sensor for a P0118 is no guarantee of a fix. Still have the wire harness and the PCM as possible culprits.

P0513 Incorrect Immobilizer Key
P0522 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118

Last edited by Raptor 07; 11-28-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Deleted double post