Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

Sudden Acceleration / Stuck Throttle

Old 10-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Default Sudden Acceleration / Stuck Throttle

I've heard from a few more people about unwanted and unexpected acceleration with Dodge RAM 1500 but Chrysler continues to blame drivers or floor mats, and refuse to take this seriously. I'm looking for others, who like me, absolutely know there's a problem based on personal experience.

Here's my story and contact info: http://bit.ly/b9DsQE

It's only a matter of time before people get killed.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM

My advice to you is....if you plan on bringing a lawsuit up in this matter, don't be blogging about it in detail. Let the lawyers tell your story.

I have not heard of any stories like this in my area. I will ask around however. This is the first i've heard of it. I've always thought fly-by-wire was a stupid thing anyway. How did you do physically in the crash BTW

Last edited by TNtech; 10-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Sorry, I don't buy the part about the engine overpowering the brakes. Try standing on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time. The car will not move. Brakes are approximately 4 times as powerful as the engine and will win every time. The car will always stop in less time and distance than it will take to accelerate to any speed. Your admitted lack of familiarity with the vehicle proves the point. Your foot was on the gas, not the brake.

I have experienced this personally. I was backing out of the garage and meant to hit the brake. The pedal went right to the floor. Fortunately the car stalled because when I looked down at my feet, my foot that I thought was on the brake was planted firmly on the gas. Scared the s**t out of me.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TNtech
How did you do physically in the crash BTW
Broken sternum and a rib from the seat belt, plus bruised hand/fingers from hitting the dash. Airbags didn't touch me as the seat belt held me back. Lots of pain the next day for a few weeks until my sternum healed!

Thanks for the advice but not actively seeking a lawsuit and anyway, if it eventually went that way, would want the whole story to be known as it happened.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Sorry, I don't buy the part about the engine overpowering the brakes. Try standing on the brakes and the accelerator at the same time.
Before this happened to me, I'd have been a skeptic just like you and also would have said the same thing, and that's why braking was my first impulse. Boy was I surprised when it didn't slow down! I bet you haven't tried it with a HEMI and ABS brakes once you get up to 30 mph?

The reason I know I wasn't confused about the gas vs brake pedal is because the first inclination that something was wrong was when I lifted my foot off the gas pedal and it didn't start to decelerate as expected. Believe me, when this happens in rush hour traffic, taking your foot off the gas after surging forward to make a traffic light and the truck keeps accelerating, you get a nasty sense of WTF and shot of adrenaline. There's no mistaking lifting your foot off the gas and it keeps going.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Default So was I! My Silver Bullet needs meds 02 sebring

At 1st my car (2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible 2.7) would just unexpectedly accelerate while I was driving but totally controllable! But yesterday 05/16/2013 I was reversing out of parking spot at a motel, braked then shift to (D) same thing, but this time, it was like I floored the damn thing! I pressed the brake and the car started jumping as if I had the brake and the gas pressed simultaneously! But Naturally I shifted to (N) but the engine was still rev'd as if I had my foot on the throttle peddle or gas peddle also had a horrible wining lso I sift in P. Shut the engine down and restarted the car and it was okay! 30 minutes later I was headed home, came to a stop sign and pressed the brake the car stopped then all of a sudden the car jerked and AGAIN FLOORED! This time the card did not jump like previously I went bolting out across Southern ave (major street) luckily no one was close enough to T bone me! and thank GOD it was a 4 way intersection and I didn't have to make any turns behind cars. I just shot directly across the street TOP SPEED!! When I finally got safely across the street I again shifted the car in (N) and then in park when I got the car stopped! I was very freaked out! I was right up the street from where I live so I just pushed it home and haven't drove it since! that's the end of my beloved Silver Bullet!

Old 05-17-2013, 03:12 AM

29 reported deaths with Toyota unintentional sudden acceleration! I haven't heard any with Chrysler yet But I'm Searching

Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota had the flyby wire system that's why yours is still a cable driven throttle body.
Is your cable sticky or something ?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:20 PM

I have had this happen to me several times over the last week. Very scary, no accident yet.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Default 2008 Chrysler Sebring accelerates at random when stopped.

I have been sitting stopped and all of a sudden the car will try to surge forward. Yesterday when I pulled into a parking space and put the car in Park the RPM's shot clear up over 3000 and then just dropped off after a few seconds. I had my foot on the brake and the car in park and was just getting ready to shut the car off when that happened. Foot was NO Where Near the gas pedal. Then today I pulled into our extra driveway to turn the car around and park on the street. I put the car in reverse and just when I started to remove my foot from the brake the RPM's shot up and the car blasted out of the driveway and I had to slam on the brakes. This is very scary. My husband said it is me so I got online and looked it up and it is not ME!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sudden Acceleration / Stuck Throttle