Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Heard you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in and read the latest from Chrysler.

Sudden Acceleration / Stuck Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 09:14 PM

Also as if this morning on my way back home from staying with a friend in Savannah last night, I went to accelerate on I-16 and the accelerator yet again took and snatched itself all the way to the floor and started booking it and I had to throw it in neutral and wiggle and pulled the accelerator up with my foot for it to stop.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:09 PM

3.6 liter v6

Old 12-13-2021, 07:47 PM

Correction I have the 3.5 liter V6 I don’t know why this site doesn’t have an edit option

Old 12-13-2021, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

so your telling me you went full throttle and went from 73 to 105 in a matter of seconds in a 250hp 4000lb car? I have driven them alot and they do not have fast top end Off the line yes top end not so much. SO you would have more then enough time to cut the engine off before getting to 125mph.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:19 AM

Brakes are approximately four times as powerful as the engine. The brakes can always overwhelm the engine. Don't believe me? Try standing on the brake pedal and then step on the gas. The car won't move. Slipping it into neutral disengages the engine from the wheels. So the first thing to realize is that there's no need to panic. You can always control the car. And you can edit your posts.

This post has been edited.

Last edited by dcotter0579; 12-14-2021 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Edited to prove that editing can be done.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Brakes are approximately four times as powerful as the engine. The brakes can always overwhelm the engine. Don't believe me? Try standing on the brake pedal and then step on the gas. The car won't move. Slipping it into neutral disengages the engine from the wheels. So the first thing to realize is that there's no need to panic. You can always control the car. And you can edit your posts.

This post has been edited.

hmmmm wel imagine that!!! I guess I wasn’t pressing the brakes then all the way to the floor then was I? Imagine that, because I did press the brakes and the car wasn’t stopping in fact it was just making smoke fly everywhere from the brakes trying to stop a car whose gas pedal was completely stuck to the floor and wasn’t budging. Until you was in that driver seat and dealing with that situation then don’t try to come at me and tell me the story because you wasn’t there and apparently you don’t know what I dealt with. The damn car wasn’t stopping it kept accelerating because the gas pedal went from beneath my foot to the floor and it wouldn’t let off. So check your facts and then after you done so and then checked the dealership where my car now sits having the brakes fixed and the rest of the car checked out, then shall you come and tell me what did and what did not happen. I’ll wait for you to pick your face up off the ground since you oh so apparently know everything

Old 12-14-2021, 10:58 AM

Also no **** on the whole neutral thing. If you can’t properly read I clearly said I threw the car in neutral so I could attempt to wiggle the gas pedal and pull it from the floor with my foot. However someone suggested turning the car off……. Turning the power off to the car would make the car very hard to control due to no power going to the power steering therefor would have made the car uncontrollable. So again before you come from me telling me the story of what happened and what I did and didn’t do and what I should and should not panic about check ya facts know the story or actually have been the one in the driver seat of that car at that moment in time because right now ya don’t know ya *** from a hole in the ground. Also yes let’s please press the brakes and then stomp the gas to the floor and see what that car does. lol it’s going to sit there and tear the brakes up from the heat it is going to generate from the tires trying to move forward and tires are going to burn rubber on the ground. So the first thing for you to do is fall back out my face and off my post with your bull****

Old 12-14-2021, 12:42 PM

I'm not trying to tell you what happened. I'm trying to tell you FACTS. The brakes ARE four times more powerful than the engine. Compare stopping times to acceleration times of any vehicle. You can draw any conclusion you like but don't expect me to believe a story that includes accelerating from 70 to 105 instantaneously with tires burning up the pavement. That car is just not capable of that, gas pedal to the floor or not.

Of course, if you had your foot pressing down on the gas pedal instead of the brake you would think that your brakes failed completely and the accelerator had taken over. I'm not saying that happened in your case but it's been known to be the case in almost every other claim of sudden acceleration and should be the first thing considered until proven otherwise.

By the way, did your brakes recover their function all by themselves after the incident?

Old 12-14-2021, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
I'm not trying to tell you what happened. I'm trying to tell you FACTS. The brakes ARE four times more powerful than the engine. Compare stopping times to acceleration times of any vehicle. You can draw any conclusion you like but don't expect me to believe a story that includes accelerating from 70 to 105 instantaneously with tires burning up the pavement. That car is just not capable of that, gas pedal to the floor or not.

Of course, if you had your foot pressing down on the gas pedal instead of the brake you would think that your brakes failed completely and the accelerator had taken over. I'm not saying that happened in your case but it's been known to be the case in almost every other claim of sudden acceleration and should be the first thing considered until proven otherwise.

By the way, did your brakes recover their function all by themselves after the incident?
im kind of not sure exactly what part your not getting with this… so let me say it all again. And this is FACTS, the gas pedal was completely stuck to the floor hence the whole acceleration thing from 75-105 and I never said it was instantaneously, I said before I knew it. Again the gas pedal was stuck therefore meaning it wouldn’t move it was to the floor and when I hit the brakes all the car done was attempted to stop and just kept accelerating and I attempted to hit the brakes again and it just made the brakes smell as if they was on fire you could see and smell the smoke. So all in all the car accelerated on its own, gas pedal to the floor it stuck there and wouldn’t come back up beneath my foot I attempted to apply the brakes and it didn’t do anything but attempt to stop the car and the car just kept going at a high rate of speed and made the brakes smell as if they were burning and made smoke fly up. Okay ya with me? Great….. at that point I threw the car in neutral alright, i then placed my foot beside the pedal and wiggled it so to speak and the put my foot under the top corner and pulled it up because it was just basically at this point revving the rpm’s way up and once the pedal was full back up I was at this point applying the brakes but not slamming them to the floor I was more or less pumping them so I could stop completely, i then sit on the side of the road and shut the car off and waited a few minutes before I continued my commute. I don’t know where you get your FACTS from but they do not apply to my situation in any means what so ever, again you’d have to have been the one driving my car and no the brakes didn’t recover themselves hence the reason why I said you could contact the dealership where the car is right now having the brakes repaired. I say they didn’t recover themselves for the fact that after this they were more or less scrubbing and squealing. Again know your FACTS because yours don’t in anyway intern-twine themselves in this matter of mine. And never once did I say the tires were burning on the pavement now your just putting ****ing words in my mouth

Old 12-14-2021, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Its all about physics a 250 hp car to accelerate from 73 to 105 would take on avg around 7 seconds to reach that speed and a distance of 1000 feet or so.
So with in a 7 second time frame you did not shut off your engine? 7 seconds in a scary situation like that is forever. As for the stuck pedal how did it become unstuck? did you mess with it once stopped? The gas pedals in the 300 are fly by wire which is no cable only a metal spring to put it back to its normal position. If it was a sensor issue there are 4 sensors 2 on pedal 2 on throttle body they are redundant meaning if one fails the system checks it self with the other one and then will put it in limp mode. Things like the flyby wire gas pedal, Belt Tires, Oil fuel tensile strength of metal are all safety items. A belt will not break under normal conditions even if worn out. A tire will not pop even if all the tread is worn off. A flyby wire pedal will not accelerate unless by force being pressed down on its own. Its more believable saying i floored it and it got stuck in the full throttle position then saying it just took off on me full throttle. And if that's the case you would need to have the NTSB look at your car for the rare 1 in a billion situation.

Quick Reply: Sudden Acceleration / Stuck Throttle