Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 AM

If you get a strong crank then the starter is good. I would pull one of the spark plug tubes and see if you are getting spark. If you are then either you are not getting fuel or something more serious is wrong. If you get no spark then your computer may be at fault. Either way you are getting to the point where you need more sophisticated equipment to troubleshoot it.

John

Old 09-15-2015, 02:55 PM

Guess it would help in trouble shooting this issue if the check engine light was on, but it's not. I'll have to wait til it gets dark to be able to check for a spark because I'm the only one home. I was also wondering, the ignition pack, you think?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Did you try the "key dance" (ignition on-off-on-off-on) to see if any codes show up in the odometer space?

An absence of codes usually means that the spark end of the equation is good and the problem may be in the fuel end. If the car sat for a long time then the fuel could very well be suspect. The fact that it ran for a while and then stalled also points to a plugged fuel filter. Unfortunately, the fuel filter is in the fuel tank and you must remove the fuel tank to get to the filter. The old fuel could have clogged up the injectors as well as the filter.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
Did you try the "key dance" (ignition on-off-on-off-on) to see if any codes show up in the odometer space?

An absence of codes usually means that the spark end of the equation is good and the problem may be in the fuel end. If the car sat for a long time then the fuel could very well be suspect. The fact that it ran for a while and then stalled also points to a plugged fuel filter. Unfortunately, the fuel filter is in the fuel tank and you must remove the fuel tank to get to the filter. The old fuel could have clogged up the injectors as well as the filter.

No, I didn't do the "key dance" (I know how it's done, I had a dodge caravan) because the check engine light isn't on, nor has it been, so I didn't think it would show any codes (my van wouldn't show any if the light wasn't on.) I will defiantly do that though.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 PM

I did the key dance and the only thing it did was chime 4-6 times, went silent then 1 chime. In the odometer area all it said was "done", no codes were present. I also tried to start the car and it's dead again. I'm at my wits end with this car, seriously.. The only other thing that I can think of is the alternator isn't working properly? I have all my lights, alarm system, but a very weak crank when I try and start it. Sunday when my brother got it started, but they had it hooked to jumper cables and the front valve head had a clunking noise in it, which it was there after the 2nd time I had to start it when I was bringing it home, but the performance of the car was no different when driving it.