Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

04 Sebring Convertible

Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Default 04 Sebring Convertible

Have heard and read the horror stories of the 2.7 motor in these. My wife bought hers brand new and as of yet not have experienced any major problems other than her multiple disc CD player took a poop a couple of years ago and I have no idea what to do with it. Crutchfield doesn't have a replacement but I can live with this. She wants to keep it. Has anyone done any kind of engine swap on one of these? Not the stock motor, but one with a little more oomph (like a hemi). Seriously though when the time comes, as it sounds it will, I want to replace the engine but not with one with the same problems. Is this a Mitubishi motor? Is there something than can be swapped out without a lot of probelms? Thanks, Bruce.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM

This is a subject that has been discussed thoroughly on this forum many times. There's a guy who managed to squeeze a 3.5L engine into a Sebring convertible, and actually got it running. Whether anything else ever worked like the A/C, I don't know. The engine did not fit under the hood, and I expect that the resale value of the car is something very close to zero.
There is no other engine that can reasonably be dropped in other than the 2.7. It is not a Mitsubishi engine.
Take care of the engine and it'll take care of you. Neglect it and you'll regret it.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dcotter0579
This is a subject that has been discussed thoroughly on this forum many times. There's a guy who managed to squeeze a 3.5L engine into a Sebring convertible, and actually got it running. Whether anything else ever worked like the A/C, I don't know.
Nope, the A/C still doesn't work. Is A/C really needed for a convertible? I don't think so.

The engine did not fit under the hood, and I expect that the resale value of the car is something very close to zero.
It's true that I had to have modifications done to the hood. However, the engine fits in the car, and it's still driveable. The 2.7L engine controller runs this engine quite well, with no CEL.

I expect that I am not going to sell this thing, if for no other reason than the coolness factor. It still serves me and my family well.

There is no other engine that can reasonably be dropped in other than the 2.7. It is not a Mitsubishi engine.
Spoken like somebody who has never tried.

Take care of the engine and it'll take care of you. Neglect it and you'll regret it.
Really? I took care of my 2.7L engine. I changed the oil religiously every 3000 miles. I made sure the air filter was nice and clean. I made sure all fluids were at proper levels. And at the end, it still spun a bearing. I suppose you're the type that blames 2.7L engine sludging on the vehicle owners.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 AM

1. Yes, A/C is useful for hot, rainy days, and cool, damp weather when you need defogging.

2. I think that proves my point.

3. Your idea of "reasonably" and mine are not the same.

4. I own 2 Sebrings with 2.7L engines in them, both with over 100K miles. Have replaced both oil pan gaskets and coolant outlet manifolds. Other than those repairs, they have both been just fine. Was your engine sludged up? I certainly would blame sludging on the owner if he never changed the oil. There are people who never put anything but gas in their cars.

I saw your write-up over on the Convertible forum. Really, it was a very impressive job. It doesn't seem to have created a wave of imitators though. Not many people could pull it off. My hat's off to you.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

The 2.7 is not the only engine that has this issue. It has been an oil grade issue and has been corrected with the engines and the people who make the oil.

Second Opinion: Oil Sludge: an expensive but preventable disaster

Old 10-12-2011, 01:55 PM

great article Chrysler Tech. I still use dino oil and not synthetic in my 01 sebring with around 93k on the clock. How often should the pcv valve be replaced? I am not sure if its been done on the car I have now or not.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM

1. Yes, A/C is useful for hot, rainy days, and cool, damp weather when you need defogging.
Would not know about hot and rainy days. All of the rainy days I've ever experienced were at about 75 F at a maximum. A/C is not required.

As for defogging, you can get the same effect merely by turning up your heat. A/C usage in this weather range is primarily to keep the compressor shaft seal lubricated. Again, A/C is not required.

2. I think that proves my point.
So what if it does? For the vast majority of people, the days of buying a new car and then selling it a few years down the road are over. People are going to be keeping their cars for longer lengths of time in this wonderful economy.

In any case, for the price of a rebuilt 2.7L engine of questionable reliability, I installed a functional replacement engine that I know does not have issues.

3. Your idea of "reasonably" and mine are not the same.
My idea of reasonably involves driving a car with an engine that won't blow itself up after 39k miles because of some sort of manufacturing defect. My idea of reasonability involves not spending much more than $1200 on a replacement engine in good condition.

4. I own 2 Sebrings with 2.7L engines in them, both with over 100K miles. Have replaced both oil pan gaskets and coolant outlet manifolds. Other than those repairs, they have both been just fine. Was your engine sludged up? I certainly would blame sludging on the owner if he never changed the oil. There are people who never put anything but gas in their cars.
I just can't wait for you to start up a post in the near future about how one of your Sebrings fell victim to sludge. It's possible, and it even happens to people who take care of their cars.

Would you care to explain this picture, if you're so sure otherwise?

I saw your write-up over on the Convertible forum. Really, it was a very impressive job. It doesn't seem to have created a wave of imitators though. Not many people could pull it off. My hat's off to you.
You should not claim to have read my work, if you don't even know whether my engine had sludged up. That kind of makes you look dishonest. Put another way, what kind of sludging issues would cause the engine internals to look as spotless as the day the engine left the assembly plant?

Besides that, how do you know that it didn't create a wave of imitators? I can think of one person right off the top of my head who replaced his 2.7L junk with a real, working engine. In fact, you specifically probably scared him from this board over to my neck of the woods. I convinced him it was possible, and he got it to work.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

As for defogging, you can get the same effect merely by turning up your heat. A/C usage in this weather range is primarily to keep the compressor shaft seal lubricated. Again, A/C is not required.

The ac system removes moisture from inside the cabin which causes the fog on your windshield.