Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Default 1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!

Ok I noticed my car had a rough Idle about a month ago didn't think much of it till this past week when it started to what it felt like to me as a miss on the freeway. It doesn't really do much with in town driving or anything like that just really when I get out on the freeway. My Car is a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Conv. JX with 125k on it so I thought to do a tune up so I changed the spark plugs, wires, cap, pcv valve, front valve cover gasket (because it looked like it had been leaking). After all of that It still wasn't running right so I took it to my local parts store and they told me it was a EVAP Emission Control System Leak (large). I wasn't sure what to think my first thought was a vaccum leak or something along those lines but i'm not to sure. If anyone has had anything like this or knows anything please help me. Also I'm not to sure on which or how many vaccum lines there is so if you could maybe help out around those lines too. Thank you all your help is/will be appreciated Chris.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!

its not the vac line u are thinking. Did u have a check engine light on? if u did not then the evap large leak is not even in the right area that u need to go. Plus the evap system is for removal of vapors from the gas tank to be burned in the engine. Now if u have a bad egr valve that would cause a miss doing highy way driving because it will use the unburned gas that is left over froma one time burn cycle and it will throw it back into the chamber to reburn it again and lower engine temp down.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM

My CEL was and still is on. So you don't think it's a vaccum leak but you do think it's my EGR? I will try replacing that but it's kind of expensive o well I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Thank you for all your help. Do you think it could be anything else like a bad fuel filter? Thanks Chris

Old 04-01-2007, 04:58 PM

Also I forgot to ask do you think it's save to drive while this is going on? I also for got to tell you at an idle my car sometimes goes around 5oo rpms which I know sets of the oil light but do think that has something to do with the EGR too?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

if the check engine light starts to flash then u are doing bad to the car

Old 04-02-2007, 11:05 AM

Well my CEL hasn't flashed or anything like that so far since I started working on it. It flashed a while back but I think that was just because my spark plugs or wires where bad I just changed them and haven't seen it flash yet.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM

Also I took it to a local mechanic today and he said that it is my cayteltic converter or however you spell it. But my question does this make since and how hard is it to do. And is there an easy way to do it? Please help.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

I could have told u that is was a cat if u same something about a cat effency failure from the check engine light was that one of the codes?? if not if doubt thats the prob. A clogged cat will make the car not start ot run all kinda bad to the point of stalling. For the record depends on if u have a blow torch handy a car lift hammer and clamps and about ooo 300 bucks u can do it yourself and get right back to where u are now. Did he say nething about the egr code that u told us that u had in there b4???

Old 04-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Ok.... The machanic I took it to said my CEL was on due to a opened purge valve??? He said that it's not a big deal but it will keep my light on. But I started to change my Cat but I relized it was a pretty tough job so I took it to muffler brothers and they put it on for 70 bucks... After that my idle seemed to be better so I took my car to the free-way for about a 45 mile drive and it ran fine for most of the drive but for about the last 5 miles or so I noticed my RPMs jumping pretty erracticly. Also the mechanic said nothing about my EGR or anything like that... So any ideas or still think it's the EGR?

Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

nothing from there have some one really check it out `

Quick Reply: 1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!