Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Default RE: 1997 Chrysler sebring problem HELP PLEASE!!!!

Ok I will look into that the next time I have a day off or some time to do it.........Thanks.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Did your mechanic not pull the codes with a scan tool? Take it too a real mechanic. If you have a CEL, there will be a code stored in the computer.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Ok the CEL is on and it said that there was a Large Evap leak. Which the guy said was my purge valve that was sticking open he said that would not make my car do anything really. Also yesterday and this morning I drove about 45 miles each and I drove very easy on my car not taking the car up real high on the RPMS and only going about 55 most of the time and for a very little time 70's. During this time nothing really seemed to do anything or very little no stalling though. Could this be something like vapor lock or do you think that my fuel injectors could be messed up? I'm still trying to get my get my car into the mechenic to get the compression test and the fuel rail test. If you have any other ideas please help if you can.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

vapor lock and the engine would not run ne more at all The evap leak is only for fed clear air stuff.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:24 AM

We've had an intermittent issue with our 98 Limited having what I called a hiccup. Didn't matter what speed, it would simply stall out, but it would recover in a split second and run fine. It might do this several times in a row or not do it at all for several weeks, then out of the blue, it would return. Finally, when it died on my Wife (her car) crossing an intersection and wouldn't restart for a little while, I felt it wasn't safe for her to drive anymore. I researched and researched to no avail. I got some good leads, but not good enough to start shot-gunning parts in hope of a fix. I took it to a friend that has an OBDII scanner, within minutes (seconds really) it showed a failure with the crank angle sensor. I swapped out the CAS (pretty easy job) and voila', been running great ever since. The CEL never stayed on, but the error was recorded in the ECU.
Your symptoms seem eerily similar to ours, because the mis started at freeway speeds, then got worse and more frequent as time went on.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:24 PM

Where would I find the crankshaft sensor at and what would I need to change it?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

The CAS is on the back side of the tranny. If you look down, under the distributer, you'll notice a wiring harness going down to the sensor. It is kind of hard too see, but follow the wire down and you'll see it.

I had my mechanic friend order an OEM part from a dealer, it cost him about $75. I don't know what it would cost without his discount.
Tools needed: screw drivers, 2' of extensions, rachet, 10mm socket (swivel socket helps), and some dexterity.
I removed the air intake to the throttle body and the tranny dipstick for more room (cover the hole in the tranny unless you want dirt and crap falling into it). Jack up driver side, remove tire/wheel. Use extension(s) and socket to remove bolt holding in sensor, going through the fender well in the same place the brake lines do. Careful removing bolt that you don't drop it off the socket. The OEM sensor has a piece of cardboard on the end of it. Put in the new sensor till it is snug on the fly wheel, the cardboard will come off once you start the car. I used a piece of paper in the end of the socket when putting the bolt back in. It was a pretty easy job all in all.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 AM

Ok..... So today me neighbor which was a mechanic for 40 years or something. Anyways I told him what was going on with my car and he told me to un hook one of the tubes that connects to the egr and plug one end with something and leave the other end connected to the little plactic thing that the vaccum is connected to. anyways I did that and drove down to see my girlfriend which is like 40 + miles and the car ran better than it did before but when I got down here I stopped at the mcdonalds and the drive through line was really long and my car over heated as soon as I noticed I pulled into a parking spot and shut the car off opened the hood and opened the over flow thing and water came out and I let it cool down. I also saw water along the ground behind where I was coming from it was dark so I really couldn't see if I did any major damage. Is there anything that I should look for when I go back to my car in the morning. Is there anything that I should do? This car has been a real pain in my *** if you know what I mean but please any help would be great as always. Thanks Chris

Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM

I tried to drive the car home the next day and it overheated on me again so I called a tow truck and had it towed home but I put more antifreeze in it so I have no Idea why it is doing this does anyone else?