Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 jxi fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Default 2000 jxi fuel problem

Hello my vehicle has 113000 miles on it. I purchased it last year, Only use it in the summer and it is garaged. Last week I started it up and car was missing at idle then when I put it in gear and backed up it ran correctly. On my way home car lost power and eventually stopped running. Used a tow rope to bring it to a at home mechanic. He told me he had put fuel to engine and it ran and suggested I have it towed to my regular shop which is what I did. The shop said it was the fuel pump. I should point out when turning on key I can hear the pump prime. Shop told me it would be 800 to repair and I thought that was to much so I pulled car home and got a pump assembly Delphi EFG0228 and fuel filter. I drained gas tank and removed, cleaned out it was very clean and installed new pump and filter. Does the same thing I here pump prime I turned key off and on multiple times and still no luck. I do not have a pressure gauge but when I remove quick connect fuel line from fuel rail no residue fuel at all. I checked fuses, I am not sure if the relays are the issue since I do here the pump prime. I watched videos and read about how to change the pump that I thought I had done it right. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 09-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Which engine are we talking about here? Any codes?

Old 09-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Hi thank you for the reply. It is the 2.5l v6. To my knowledge there are no codes although I will see about renting a code reader to verify. And also I will pick up a fuel pressure gauge so I can respond more intelligently.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Try the key dance to see if any codes show up: On, off, on, off, on. See if anything shows up in the odometer space.

With that engine, a frequent source of trouble is the distributor. Do you have spark?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:06 PM

Well I got home called the shop who had diagnosed the pump and they had told me there was no codes in memory. I put a fuel pressure gauge and had zero pressure. Then I thought maybe I did not add enough fuel. So I added 5 gallons and then tried. Got out of the car and found a puddle of fuel under car so I know the pump is working. Apparently I had kinked the plastic fuel line from the out of fuel filter to medal line and now it leaks. Do I now need a new fuel line from filter all the way to engine? Or could I go to bone yard cut out a chunk with the quick connect on it from donor car and some how splice the two? And also I had sprayed some starter fluid earlier from the air cleaner housing and car did fire so I know I have spark. I think after I repair my stupid mistake it might just run.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 PM

Sounds like you'll need to drop the tank again to see what the problem is, then go from there. You might find a fuel line repair kit that will work for you, but be careful what you do there since the line is under pressure and gasoline is dangerous stuff. A fire on the road can ruin your whole day.