Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2000 LXI 2.5L Intermittent Power, No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Default 2000 LXI 2.5L Intermittent Power, No Start

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone might have an idea what's wrong with my 2000 LXI coupe. Problem started a few days ago when I hit a nasty pothole. I'm usually pretty careful to avoid them due to the low clearance of the nose of this car and the soft rims. Missed this one and hit it at between 50-60mph. The car cut out instantly electrically and mechanically. Noticed everything was off and was able to coast to the side of the road. Called AAA and in the meantime checked the fuses under hood and the belts. All ok. Tried disconnecting battery to reset computer. No good. There was a clicking (Sounded like starter solenoid) from the center of the dash, even when the key was not in the ignition. Had it towed home.

The next day, put key in ignition. Lights came up seemed fine. Turn the key, everything died. If it sits for a while a little power comes back. Battery was really corroded. Cleaned the terminals, no good. Checked underneath. No sign car bottomed out. Symptoms are now similar to when my battery went the one in there is about 18 to 24 months old. Seems like a bad relay or a short but I stink at trouble shooting electircal issues and want some options before I take it to a shop.

P.S. Saw some folks with similar symptoms on another board in their JXI convertibles and it was the starter solenoid. It would be weird for a jolt to make it crap out when there were no prior issues with it wouldn't it?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Default RE: 2000 LXI 2.5L Intermittent Power, No Start

As crazy as it sounds, I'd start by pulling the battery and have it bench tested. Your impact may have been hard enough to shift some of the plates in the battery causing an internal short.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the input bandaide. The battery was part of the problem. Took it out and hooked it up to a charger. The needle kept bouncing around and would occasionally peg.

Put in a new battery. All lights and accessories work but turn the key, it all cuts out. Noticed a small hole in the heat shield over the negative terminal. Looks like it hit the metal of the hood in the impact so I'm guessing its a short. Can hear the fuel pump come on but now nothing from the starter.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM
moe

check fuses in pdc?#8

Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 PM
moe

Old 03-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Ok, checked the fuses again. PDC, you mean the block of fuses under the hood yes? There are two twenty amps in there. According to the schematic on top of the box, one is for the stop lights. I can't remember the other right now as I'm not near the car. Both looked okay but I switched them just in case. Now I get the fast click from the starter if I turn the key and all power stays on. Car just doesn't turn over.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks to all who replied to this post. Just wanted to update you all on the resolution. Car sat for about 6 weeks til I broke down and had it towed to the shop. They replaced all ignition wiring (about $500) and got the car going again. Worked for about two weeks and then conked out again. Same symptoms as well as a blown head gasket. Car sat again about 6-8 weeks as I seriously considered scrapping it. Towed it again to shop. Mechanic did a tune up (he had suggested this last time but said he could leave it out to cut cost) and the gasket. About $800 this time but car runs better than it has since I owned it. Was definately over due for a tune. Hope this all holds up and that this resolution will help someone else out.