Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

2002 Sebring AC intermittent - AC clutch not always engaged

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by duolos777
Thank you for your (quick) reply.
Good luck in fixing yours.

A friend of mine "energized" the clutch on the air compressor and it engaged fine. But when the car is doing that, it only lasts for 2-30 minutes and then stops the signal to the clutch to engage.

I am hoping that it is either the on-dash user control unit (above the radio) and/or the relays.

I just ordered a new control unit (my last used one might not have been good), and every relay that might relate to this (see below). On PartsGeek I saw an HVAC relay AND a "Compressor Clutch Relay". I will try them out and hope that it is not the PCM computer. Then send back what didn't work I guess.

Here is what I ordered to try (I think there may be some overlap here - but I would have it than not have it to try):
2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C & Heater Relay Price: $23.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: RY-679

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Control Relay Price: $9.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: RY-612

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Compressor Throttle Cutoff Relay Price: $19.08 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: 36126

2004 Chrysler Sebring A/C Compressor Clutch Relay Connector Price: $35.33 Core: $0.00 Extended Warranty: $0.00 Qty: 1 Part #: S-1600

Thank you again for your help..Let me know if you learn anything and I, too, will pass back if I do.
I've changed the every relay and the transducer (pressure switch) and nothing works. The last two things I can think of (other than a brand new dash control unit) is a ambient temperature sensor or a evaporator temperature sensor. To be honest, I don't see the car lasting too much longer so I've pretty much given up on it

Old 09-06-2019, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
I too just had this issue on my '01 Sebring. Compressor would work and blow cold with the unit set to defrost, but not in any of the A/C positions. Oddly enough, if it was cooler... it would sometimes work, but when you really needed the a/c it would not.

I found this fix on a site where people just registered complaints (i.e. not a help fourm). It has to do with the controller board.

If you are experiencing this issue, pop the controls out and unplug them. Then turn the controls upside down and take out the 3 philips screws. Carefully part the unit and you will then see 8 pins (1 and 5 marked). Try resoldering #8 (regardless of how good it might look).
Be careful... don't use too much heat and melt the whole assembly.
I experience the exact same symptoms as ‘Thundercraft’ and worked on doing the soldering work suggested on the ‘controller board’ which is part of your climate control unit. Its the panel with all your a/c controls, defogger, air recycle etc etc.

Everything WORKS now! This is saving you $50 for a whole new climate control panel, or you can do so anyway like ‘reavenger’ suggested.

It should resolve any issue with your compressor clutch behaving erratically. I’ll try to reply asap if there are any questions that follow.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by xuberant
I experience the exact same symptoms as ‘Thundercraft’ and worked on doing the soldering work suggested on the ‘controller board’ which is part of your climate control unit. Its the panel with all your a/c controls, defogger, air recycle etc etc.

Everything WORKS now! This is saving you $50 for a whole new climate control panel, or you can do so anyway like ‘reavenger’ suggested.

It should resolve any issue with your compressor clutch behaving erratically. I’ll try to reply asap if there are any questions that follow.
I no longer have the car, but it ended up being the control panel. I bought a used one off eBay, which did not work either and I really did not feel like spending the money on a new one. The next summer it was doing the same thing and I tapped the control panel a couple times and it came back on and worked right ever since